Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 2" Rush Pipes on 2008 883 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:07 AM
atrix883
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 2" Rush Pipes on 2008 883 Sportster

Hi all,

Newbie here -- first harley. I am installing 2" Rush pipes on my sportster. I have noticed a few things and was looking for help to improve my bike, install the pipes correctly, and make future work on the bike go more smoothly. Here are my questions:

1. The existing exhast clamp does not seem to fit over the new rush pipes. Do I need to install the clamp at all? It appears there is a tight fit at the pipe connection and a good 1" or more of overlap.

2. Some of the screw clamps that hold on the chrome protectors over the exaust pipes (not sure of exact name) are rusted. I would like to get new ones. Where can I buy them?

3. Getting the stock front muffler off was a hassle. I noticed that as I was taking the stock muffler off, the header pipe rotated. I moved it back to the original place -- is this bad?

4. Is there some kind of grease I can use to help the pipes go on and off more smoothly?

That't it for now. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes you should use clamps. they shold be the same, you just need to spread them out. You do not want exhaust leaks and given the heat, there is a lot of expansion/contraction going on.

2. They are just standard hose clamps. Any auto parts store will have them.

3. Maybe yes, maybe no. Again the culpret is exhaust leaks. There is a mesh gasket in the cylinder. As a practice, I replace mine whenever I do an exhaust job. Warning, there are also mesh gaskets in the crossover pipe that should have been replaced regardless. At a minimum you should retorque the exhaust flange bolts and check for leaks.

4. You could try some high temperature antiseize. They sell it in auto parts store for a few bucks a tubed. It is a good practice to use it whenever you change spark plugs.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
atrix883
1st Gear

@Idaho Spud - Thanks for answers!. Regarding 1, the clamps definitely do not fit no matter how much I try to pull them apart -- I'm a pretty strong guy too. I've read other places that ppl have the same issues. Do you know where I can get a new one? local auto parts store?

Regarding 3, pardon my ignorance, but what is the crossover pipe? Also, what are the exhaust flange bolts? How do I check for leaks?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

The crossover pipe is the black pipe that connects the two sets of slip ons. You should see two holes in the bottom of the slip ons that align with the crossover pipe. (assuming it is the same as my 2012). Your local Harley store should have replacement clamps.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

Oh and yes, the exhaust flange bolts are the bolts around the flange at the top of the head pipe that connect the head pipe to the cylinder head. There is two bolts for each head pipe.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM
atrix883
1st Gear

@Idaho Spud - thanks again.

1. I understand the crossover pipe now. I notice that there is a gasget in the old muffler but not in the rush pipes. Will pick one up at the harley shop.

2. I see the exhaust flange bolts. I will retighten them tomorrow.

How do i check for exhaust leaks?

Thanks for replying! Definitely understanding a lot more now -- looking forward to doing more work on the bike.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

I will try and save you a trip. You need two crossover gaskets, one for each slip on. Re checking. I just rev it and listen for loud noise or popping around the mail exhaust ports and the cross over. When running, decelerate quickly. If no popping you should be good.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 PM
atrix883
1st Gear

Idaho Spud, thanks for your help man! I got the gasgets for the xc pipe, new exhaust clamps, and the antisieze (makes removing the pipes a breeze. i'll be sure to use this as much as i can in the future!).

I ended up buying the wrong size exhaust clamp. A 2" was just slightly too big. So, I just bought 1 7/8". Should be in thursday. I'll see how they go.

I am also going to replace the hose clamps that hold the chrome over the header pipes. Some of them are really rusty. I think I need a size 32. What do you think?

This is a lot of fun. Next, I am going to fix a little oil drip I have, put on a back seat, and possible get a different air intake. Regarding the air intake, I've heard there are ones that are suitable for my 2" rush pipes. Any recommendations?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

Can't help you on the size, you should be able to just take one of the old ones to the auto parts store to match it up. Can't help you with the air intake, mine is still stock which is why I went with the 1 3/4" instead of the 2". If you have EFI and in particular, if you mess with the intake you will need to remap the EFI. That is beyond my abilities. Even with a carb setup, you might need to rejet the carb as it will likely be running too lean with all the air you are pushing through it.

Yup, it is fun. The key is knowing when you are about to get in over your head.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,205 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Looks like you got good advice on the pipes.

Look HERE to see some Outlaw HiFlow 587 Air Cleaners that will work well with your Sporty with the Rush slip-ons.

You will also want one of THESE when you go to an aftermarket Air Cleaner to adjust for your opened up pipes and A/C.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Installing 2" Rush Pipes on 2008 883 Sportster