Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped clutch cable at derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012 | 02:56 PM
lowdrag82
|
Stage III
Default Snapped clutch cable at derby cover

I noticed that my clutch cable was very tight and needed adjustment or lubrication. I started messing with stuff before doing my research, anyway, I tightened the part of the clutch cable that screws into the trans cover, or derby cover I believe is an another term, too much. The threaded part snapped off in the cover exposing the o ring and leaking some oil. I have a cable on order, new gasket, and oil. Can I get around taking the whole cover off? If not, is there a detailed description of how to remove the broken threaded portion and installing a new cable? Will I need an easy out?

Old 07-08-2012 | 04:50 PM
Rokrover
Advanced

Uh Oh - sounds like you may be in for a world of pain! From your description I assume the primary cover threads are not stripped so all you need to do is extract the broken off cable end fitting. An EZ out would be the usual way to go. If it were me I'd remove the primary cover to better understand the problem before doing more damage, as you may be able to thread the stripped part out from the inside. A service manual would definitely be a wise investment at this stage. It will also tell you how to properly set up your new clutch cable slack. Cheers, RR

Old 07-08-2012 | 05:48 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

once you have the old cable out ( you may have to cut it) you will probably be able to use a small(ish) flat screwdriver lightly jammed into the broken threaded portion in the primary cover and just back out the threaded piece, if not, than a backout should do the job...if it is not broken off flush and is counter sunk you may want to take the primary off so that you can get at it from the inside...good luck...it is definitely doable just take your time...

Old 07-09-2012 | 05:55 AM
lowdrag82
|
Stage III

Thanks for the advise, I'm getting a manual ASAP. I was thinking the same thing about about possibly cutting the the cable.

Old 07-09-2012 | 06:53 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

If at all possible, heat the piece and it will come out easier. chalk that up to experiance.

By the way, nowhere in the manual does it say to adjust the cable at the case sleeve. Only adjustment should be made at the clutch adjusting screw behind the cover(turn counter clockwise till resistance then back off 1/4 turn) Thats also done after you loosen the adjuster thats clamped to the frame of the bike. Then you use the adjuster to set the freeplay to 1/16 to 1/8 of play by pulling on the cable at the entrance to the handle and measure the freeplay where the metal cable sleeve contacts the leaver.

The fitting in the cover is just a way to secure the cable to the case, has nothing to do with adjustment. I hope you get it sorted out and get back to riding soon.

Old 07-09-2012 | 07:17 AM
AustinXL
Tourer

I recently did this as well. Cut the cable, pull the end out, then use an extractor to pull the broken piece out, it'll come out easily.