Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ISO left grip off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Harryinny
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ISO left grip off?

I dont have an air compressor. I just got a set of buckhorns that look much more comfy and feel like my older bikes use to. I need to get the left ISO grip off that i put on a couple weeks ago. The right side NP Its not glued to a sleeve. Not sure if im keeping the ISO grips anyways.

Heres another one, i cut the one off the bars when installing the grips, But its salvageable, What kind of adhesive should i use thats instant, like the stuff they give you with new grips? I need to salvage the stock grip because i cant get a set of stock rubber grips because im strapped for cash.

Any help appreciated.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harryinny
I dont have an air compressor. I just got a set of buckhorns that look much more comfy and feel like my older bikes use to. I need to get the left ISO grip off that i put on a couple weeks ago. The right side NP Its not glued to a sleeve. Not sure if im keeping the ISO grips anyways.

Heres another one, i cut the one off the bars when installing the grips, But its salvageable, What kind of adhesive should i use thats instant, like the stuff they give you with new grips? I need to salvage the stock grip because i cant get a set of stock rubber grips because im strapped for cash.

Any help appreciated.
Someone here posted a very good set of instructions for R&Ring the grips...without cutting off the left one. He said if you don't have a compressor, to use a can of WD40. Just make sure you clean the WD40 off before you install the new one.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 AM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harryinny

Any help appreciated.
To get it off my wife's bike I used brute force. Twist it to help break it loose then twist and pull. I didn't use WD40 or compressed air and it only took a few minutes. No damage to it and I installed it back on her new bars.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I used pvc primer and cement to glue mine back on. You dont have a compressor but thats what I used to take it off.......sooooooo easy.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Harryinny
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, Will try the WD40 see if it disolves the glue. maybe even use that Goo Gone stuff that looks like lighter fluid. Got the new bars on and WOW what a difference, im not reaching no more and the bikes profile looks excellent. Old School look is cool.