Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporster or sporster trike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
SCaston
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporster or sporster trike?

Hi everyone, I need advice. I am a first time owner of a motorcycle. I have a 2012 sporster 883 low. I am having a tough time learning to ride it. I took the riders edge course going into the class with excitement about riding but it has been 2 months and I still don't feel comfortable on the bike. I was thinking about getting the trike kit to put on it. My questions are: is a trike easier to ride because it has 3 wheels. I have read other posts and some say it is easier to learn on a trike. I am a 53 year old female that has never ridden a motorcycle before. Can anyone give me some advice on the ends and outs of a trike versus a 2 wheel bike. Will I be able to ride a trike even if I am having a hard time on my 2 wheel bike?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 PM
mrmikey32
Road Captain

if you are not comfortable on two after 2 months, maybe take a brake, and try again

Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What part of riding a motorcycle do you not feel comfortable with?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is a Harley forum... but have you considered a smaller bike, like a used metric?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

I think it is a good idea to spend some time on a smaller bike in the dirt or lots of time in a parking lot. Once you are comfortable/one with the bike, then you can add the hazards of all the traffic.

That said, I have a Sportster bike AND a Tri-Glide Trike. A trike is a totally different ride. It does not ride like a bike, there is no leaning, there is no counter-steering, and other differences also.

As far as riding, yes it is easier, as far as dealing with others on the road it is the same.

(You did not say what you were not comfortable with).

I have been riding bikes for 40+ years and only recently went to a trike for my touring bike because I physically cannot hold up a larger bike anymore. But even with my bum leg and foot I am 100% comfortable with my Sportster. 2 wheels are more fun, but you got to log the hours AWAY from traffic on a bike or a trike to get comfortable with it before you get on the street.

my 2 pennies

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I can't offer advice about a trike, never ridden one. But I can offer the perspective of a new rider (5k miles this season, but new this season). The single most important thing I learned was to stop trying to control the bike by leaning and start counter steering.. it's everything.. push left- go left, push right- go right. Gave me all the control I needed to gain confidence.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Twiste
Cruiser

Sorry to be that guy but Its drivin me nuts. It SPORTSTER not sporster. That said a 883 is a pretty light bike and very easy to ride. The reason/explanation of whats making you feel uncomfortable might help us give you idea's on making riding better for ya.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
JonFMJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do what dk customs said. Go to an empty parking lot and ride around. School is out so that may be a good place to try or maybe a mall parkinglot on a Sunday or something along that. Also you can look up other classes for riding. I havnt taken the riders edge course but being military I was required to take an msf certified course luckily they offered one through the local community college. It was very informative and a bit of an own pace kind of course. There maybe some tips that had not been mentioned in the riders edge course. But above all the only thing that will make you comforatable riding is doing exactly that. Riding.
-Jon

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
SCaston
Stage III
Default Thanks for the replies.

Some of you have asked what I am not comfortable with. Basically anything to do with turning and I keep grabbing the front brake, of course then I fall. I have crashed about 5 times in 2 months. Not bad crashes but basically just falling over. It really does not help my confidence much. I can only practice in my neighbor hood and don't get get a chance to be able to go to a school parking lot where I think if I could do that I could get better at being able to go a distance without having to make such short turns on the streets in my neighborhood. My husband says I am doing the things that are hardest and if I get out on the open road I would feel more at ease. But at this point I can't get there. Mu husband won't go with me or even try to help. He thinks I would be even more nervous with him trying to tell me what to do. I really want to ride but at this point I am " afraid" of the bike. I know that if I fear it that maybe I should not be a rider. Maybe I should take the advice of waiting a little while and then try again. I am just too frustrated right now because it seems like everytime I go to ride I am afraid I will fall over. Should I wait and start over when I feel better. I took the riders edge and did well except for the figure 8 so I should be able to ride.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
SCaston
Stage III

Hey Twiste, sorry about the SPORSTER improper capitalization. At least you made me laugh. Now I know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Sporster or sporster trike?