Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell harley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Mica501
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell harley?

Hi guys, im the happy owner of a harley 48 2011. Installed drag bars, vance and hines short shots chrome, stage 1 kit, joker machine air cleaner.
After 1 year and only 2100km on the teller I am hesitating to sell my Harley.
Why? Because I want to modify so much things but these are so expensive!!! I like to rode it but dont want to spend all my money on that bike and if I keep it thats what Im going to do to make it an awesome bike. Now someone is offering retail price for my bike, so I loose all new parts investments. Please advise, have anyone of you been for the same choice? I am 28 years old and am not sure what to do... Chose fo the money or be patient an invest piece by piece in this bike to make it special in .....() years....
Gryz

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM
AjaBra
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep the bike. Practice self control.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

Sell the car and ride the bike.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just a motorcycle, don't get caught up in the mods and improvements.
Just ride it, have fun.
Make special memories, not a special bike.
Its just a mechanical machine and it will let you down, no matter how special it appears.
Customizing and making it special is for the rich that don't ride much.
Are you financially rich? Is your retirement fully funded for the year? Have no debt? do you ahve a million in the bank? 7 figure income? 6 digit income don't cut it anymore.
Do you have a bike to ride, then get a project bike thats going to be special that you can trailer to the rally's to enter the contest.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Rotho
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oneballz
Its just a motorcycle, don't get caught up in the mods and improvements.
Just ride it, have fun.
Make special memories, not a special bike.
Its just a mechanical machine and it will let you down, no matter how special it appears.
Customizing and making it special is for the rich that don't ride much.
Are you financially rich? Is your retirement fully funded for the year? Have no debt? do you ahve a million in the bank? 7 figure income? 6 digit income don't cut it anymore.
Do you have a bike to ride, then get a project bike thats going to be special that you can trailer to the rally's to enter the contest.
+1 Yep what he said......

Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to spend so much money to enjoy riding it?

Either you practice self control and you become patient, or you try to get around the expensive parts and go for some DIY.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you spend more time riding it, you'll be happier with it.

Don't worry about modding it out into the most badass crazy bike. Just ride the **** out of it.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harleys are about the riding experience. Stop looking at it so much, get on it, and go somewhere. No need to keep up with the bike next door, the Jones, or however you'd like to say it. Somebody somewhere will always have something nicer than you. Grow up, stop being such a part of the impatient gotta have it right now generation, enjoy what you have vs what you don't have, and spend the years ahead "making it yours"
-wait, what was the question?-

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Shadow_otw
Tourer

Well, I will have to say that I agree (for all intents and purposes) with everyone above. I haunt Craigslist and bike swap meets and Ebay for deals. With the exception of the control levers and A/C, every thing thats on my Forty-Eight was a used piece. You can pretty much get everything you want without paying retail, or the HD Tax if you have some patience.

Take a camera and ride that 48, love it and make memories...don't make your bike a memory.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 AM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

When I do something to my bike, its usually for functional reasons. Bags, pegs, etc all have a purpose, however I do want it to look good. Don't compare your bike to others out there, everyone's' taste is different; make it look and feel the way YOU want it to. Who cares what everyone else says!

BTW: Unless you inherit a numbers-matching Hemi 'Cuda or a Yenko Camaro, things with wheels are terrible investments. Don't see it as "what can I sell it for", otherwise you'll go nuts. Practice some financial management and responsibility and you'll see it is possible to own a Harley without being rich. Set aside $10-$20 from each paycheck in a jar as fun money- going out, getting goodies for the bike, etc. When it's dried up it's dried up, and you'll still be able to pay your bills. If you're still making payments on the bike, that should be a top priority. The sooner it's paid off, the sooner that money can go toward something else or into savings.

Quick Reply: Sell harley?