Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slop or Play in the throttle grip

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slop or Play in the throttle grip

Is this normal?
First bike and all, so I'm not exactly sure.

Long story short, the throttle grip has some small wiggle room, I guess maybe a quarter of an inch of play before it actually "engages".

Long version: yesterday I noticed that a quick blip on the throttle with my fingers, it would get stuck and want to keep accelerating and rev the engine, so I'd quickly take it back down with a reverse twist.

A buddy of mine figured it was just the little tension ****, so he tightened it up and that "problem" went away just fine. Though now the throttle seems to be a bit "tighter" (not as easy to twist with just my finger tips).

But I do notice that the grip has some play in it. I didn't know how normal this is. I'm still using the shitty stock grips on the Iron. I do plan on replacing them eventually.

Today I noticed some surging, like as I'm speeding up quickly and up shifting, a couple of times it acted like there was no fuel for a quick second. I don't think it had anything to do with the throttle, but not sure. Using XiED and the mreed DIY filter, so thought it may have something to do with a tune problem. But really, that's another topic altogether.

Last edited by blindrocket; 07-01-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
misfitchris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That tension **** is a poor man's cruise. Used for long hauls but not so tight you can't throttle back in a pinch.
I like my throttle with a little play, our roads here aren't great and too much tension I rev up on a bump.
You can adjust the throttle cables to adjust tension, the thumb screw should be backed up off the throttle completely in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Just use the procedure in the manual for adjusting. Slip off the 2 boots below the cable elbown and adjust the Push pull cables. You might have the push cable(one towards the handle bars) to tight? Actually you should be able to loosen that one and the spring should have enough in it to snap the throttle back to Idle. Its just a matter of adjustment, just make sure the idle **** as they call it, seats tight against the stopper on the throttle body(you can see it plain as day on the bottom of the body when looking behind the air kit.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to also use a couple tiny squirts of lube inside where the grooves are in the switch houseing where the grip sets into with the cables hooked up. It does help, because that might be too dry in there.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 AM
ridzalot
Tourer

My '03 Sporty had that problem. It was the groove or whatever it is called where the cable end fits into the throttle grip under the attachment cover. Mine had slop for about a week before the groove finally broke off. The attachment groove is plastic. I looked for 2-3 weeks for an all metal one and never found one so I bought another Kuryaken. That is what the broken one was. Have not had any trouble with this one in two years. My indy mechanic said in his 30 years of wrenching he had never seen that happen. On mine I only had to remove the two scews on the cover to see the problem. Luckily mine broke completely while I was at the house.