Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too big for a sportster 883?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Indeed. The simplest tweaks make such a huge difference as far as comfort. I've been tinkering with my seat (LePera Bare Bones) and handlebars for a bit now. Hopefully by this friday I should be getting rid of my Customs stock 6 inch pullback risers and adding Biltwell slimline risers along with biltwell tracker handlebars, and a Roland Sands gauge relocation kit for my speedo.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Seb3568
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey im 5'8" 190lbs and i just bought the iron a few weeks ago. it definitely has enough power, but i ended up getting the screaming eagle 1200 conversion kit. its like night and day. i just loved the look of the iron and how everything is completely blacked out, unlike the knightster with some gray in there. if you like the look of the iron, go for it man. 883 is plenty.
let us know what you get!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
sirrom1
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The 883's are just fine, HD gave them such a long stroke they are real work horses. Unfortunately since '04 the primary is so low (previously mentioned) they are not as comfortable or economical as they could be on road trips. A 30 tooth is a nice start, but there are now 32 tooth's for us. The 32 compensates for the low primary, at a reduced cost, and no belt change required! There are even 66 tooth rear pulleys now available for "more leg".
Enjoy an 883, and sinicker a little at the BT's when you drive by them at the pump!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
AustinXL
Tourer

The 883 is plenty, and if you ever want more you can get a lot better results using non-Harley parts.

Call Dan @ NRHS if you have any questions on a powerful 883-1250 conversion.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 6' 235ish and carry a 110# wife with most of the time out of town and we get along great w/883 power.

I have added forward controls, 10" bars, windshield, RK shocks, 20w oil in forks, and a HD pillow top touring seat and it is a decent bike on the road now. Its not a couch on wheels by any means but decent and just perfect around town we enjoy it a lot.

The mpg is phenomenal as is 2 up we get 55 on the hwy on a good day! I am skerd to risk loosing that with a 1200/1250 motor conversion just so I could pass the semis running into the wind better. Not saying I wont do it later just thats what is holding me back now. just my .002 hth ya

Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oupa
Okay, I'm going to reply to your question without reading any of the replies between there and here. I hope I'll be rehashing what everyone else has said. If not, I hope you listen carefully.

When I was 18 I bought my first purely road bike. I was about 160-170lbs. then but the same 6'6" I am today. That bike was a 1973 Sportster. 73 was the first production year with the 1000cc engine. Before and after I've ridden friend's 900's and can discern no real difference in regard to power. Today I'm riding a 98 1200C and still, see no REAL difference. The difference is the bike!!! The Sportster is quicker and better balanced. More responsive. To me, this means more FUN! And yeah that's right, I'm still riding Sportsters. I could afford any model but THIS is what I choose! I'm still 6'6" but now I weigh 225-230. Too small? You're kidding right?
Look Beau, if you like Sporties, I mean really like them for what they are not as a step on the way to something else, you'll adjust. You'll enjoy the ride and forget all that BS about it being small, under powered, or any of the other bull spouted by the guys who aren't TRULY Sportster guys. I'm running forward controls on the 1200C but I to prefer the feel... the balance, control and posture of mids. I've been toying with the idea of switching mine but haven't so far.

The real bottom line though, the question you should really be asking, is what do YOU want from a bike? Obviously you've ridden some. Ridden enough to realize you do like the ride of the sporty. You can add, or enven take off anything you want once it's yours and while some guys (and girls) out there may express their opinion of YOUR BIKE as though it matters... it don't! Get the ride YOU like Beau. Make it look and feel the way YOU want it to and don't make any excuses or apologies to ANYBODY!
This is an incredibly well written thesis on why people should ride what they want to ride--and why I ride a Sportster and sold my Fat Bob to get back onto a Sportster (883C, Iron, and now a 48!)

Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by oupa
Okay, I'm going to reply to your question without reading any of the replies between there and here. I hope I'll be rehashing what everyone else has said. If not, I hope you listen carefully.

When I was 18 I bought my first purely road bike. I was about 160-170lbs. then but the same 6'6" I am today. That bike was a 1973 Sportster. 73 was the first production year with the 1000cc engine. Before and after I've ridden friend's 900's and can discern no real difference in regard to power. Today I'm riding a 98 1200C and still, see no REAL difference. The difference is the bike!!! The Sportster is quicker and better balanced. More responsive. To me, this means more FUN! And yeah that's right, I'm still riding Sportsters. I could afford any model but THIS is what I choose! I'm still 6'6" but now I weigh 225-230. Too small? You're kidding right?
Look Beau, if you like Sporties, I mean really like them for what they are not as a step on the way to something else, you'll adjust. You'll enjoy the ride and forget all that BS about it being small, under powered, or any of the other bull spouted by the guys who aren't TRULY Sportster guys. I'm running forward controls on the 1200C but I to prefer the feel... the balance, control and posture of mids. I've been toying with the idea of switching mine but haven't so far.

The real bottom line though, the question you should really be asking, is what do YOU want from a bike? Obviously you've ridden some. Ridden enough to realize you do like the ride of the sporty. You can add, or enven take off anything you want once it's yours and while some guys (and girls) out there may express their opinion of YOUR BIKE as though it matters... it don't! Get the ride YOU like Beau. Make it look and feel the way YOU want it to and don't make any excuses or apologies to ANYBODY!

Touché...