Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping out of 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:07 PM
ZX2BY2U
|
Cruiser
Default Popping out of 1st gear

I'm having problems with my '01 XL1200C popping in & out of first gear on take-off. It happens about 1/3 of the time now. I take off smoothly, and as torque builds it feels like it's popping out of gear and back into gear very quickly and harshly. Usually several times in the space of a second or two. It feels as though it spools up as it's disengaged so when it pops back into gear, it hits with a real hard surge. Not fun when turning into traffic from a stop! I'm suspecting either damaged shift forks or broken 1st gear teeth. I'm not experienced with transmissions though. Anyone else had this type of problem or clues to the cause? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-25-2012 | 09:26 PM
JonFMJ
Cruiser

How many miles are on it and is it the factory clutch and springs? Does it do it in any other gear? I've never experienced this on a bike but had it happen to a car of mine a while back. After replacing the pressure plate and clutch the problem stopped. Also does it grind or anything while changing gears or putting it into first? Is the transmission fluid levels up and filled with proper fluids. I know it's alot of dumb questions but hoping its something cheap for ya.

Old 06-26-2012 | 06:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I can't imagine a condition that would give what you describe. However you obviously have something that needs prompt attention. We can analyse on here, but the only way you are going to get a useful answer is to visit a dealer or indy and get them to check your bike for you, so they can experience what it is doing first hand.

Old 06-26-2012 | 07:56 AM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain

From the symptoms you describe, I can think of a few things that may be contributing:

1) Worn dogs on the first gear cluster
2) the shifter pawl is out of adjustment (see TFM for the procedure - aside from pullin' the primary cover, it's pretty easy)
3) Shifter fork may be loose on the shaft, and not properly engaging the gear.

The hardest part to pulling the transmission to check these things is getting the primary sprocket and clutch hub off. A hardwood or STIFF plastic wedge to lock the primary chain, and an impact wrench or 1/2" drive breaker bar and LONG piece of pipe will work - those bolts are torqued to over 100 Ft Lbs. Remember that the clutch-hub nut is left threaded - I'd REALLY suggest reviewing the procedure in the Factory Manual before you tear in to the bike.

Old 06-26-2012 | 08:04 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member

I know exactaly what you are talking about. My wife's 02 does the same thing once in a while. I still need to get that trans out of there and take a peek at it. It has been happening for a couple of years now.

Old 06-26-2012 | 07:07 PM
ZX2BY2U
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1984_FXRT
From the symptoms you describe, I can think of a few things that may be contributing:

1) Worn dogs on the first gear cluster
2) the shifter pawl is out of adjustment (see TFM for the procedure - aside from pullin' the primary cover, it's pretty easy)
3) Shifter fork may be loose on the shaft, and not properly engaging the gear.

The hardest part to pulling the transmission to check these things is getting the primary sprocket and clutch hub off. A hardwood or STIFF plastic wedge to lock the primary chain, and an impact wrench or 1/2" drive breaker bar and LONG piece of pipe will work - those bolts are torqued to over 100 Ft Lbs. Remember that the clutch-hub nut is left threaded - I'd REALLY suggest reviewing the procedure in the Factory Manual before you tear in to the bike.
After a little more searching online, I'm tending to agree with your diagnosis. Looks like I need to start saving for some shop time as this seems a bit beyond my capabilities.

To answer the previous questions, the bike has @ 32k miles, original clutch & recently adjusted, only pops out of 1st, all other gears are fine, no grinding, fluids are synthetic & @ proper levels. I might check the primary chan tension before heading to the shop, but doubt if I'll get that lucky to find a quick fix.

Thanks all for the input. I'll post back with any results.