Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 883 Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Newmonster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 883 Help

So I'm into chopping stuff off my bike and continuing with that thought I went and took my crankcase cover off. The problem I am having us that with the cover came a gear that was not supposed to come out, this gear us on a shaft with a knuckle behind it that pushes a plunger up. I'm assuming this assembly governs the timing, when it came out it lost its placement. So in trying to get this gear back into place but it is getting hung up on the before mentioned plunger that comes down from inside the motor. My question is how do I get thus back into place without moving the other gears? Can I just push it in? Will that plunger go up? Please help, I'm nowhere near being a motor guy and I feel that I made a grave mistake. Thanks Kyle

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Sportstatler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Newmonster
So I'm into chopping stuff off my bike and continuing with that thought I went and took my crankcase cover off. The problem I am having us that with the cover came a gear that was not supposed to come out, this gear us on a shaft with a knuckle behind it that pushes a plunger up. I'm assuming this assembly governs the timing, when it came out it lost its placement. So in trying to get this gear back into place but it is getting hung up on the before mentioned plunger that comes down from inside the motor. My question is how do I get thus back into place without moving the other gears? Can I just push it in? Will that plunger go up? Please help, I'm nowhere near being a motor guy and I feel that I made a grave mistake. Thanks Kyle
You pulled one of the cams out, and the tappet dropped down. You can push the tappet back up in motor and slide the cam (gear) back in. But you have to make sure the cam gear is lined up properly (timing marks). There are timing marks on each of the four cam gears. All four cam markings MUST line up. If I were you, I would get a service manual. It tells you everything you need to know. Look carefully at each cam gear. You will see the marks.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Yep, you've pulled a cam out, and if your not a mechanic AND don't have a Service Manual, you've dug yourself into a pretty good hole.
Do you have a friend or know someone that is a "motor guy"?
Do you have the Service Manual for your bike?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Newmonster
Intermediate

I do have a motor guy but he is hard to get a hold of. Thank you for the info on the tappet, I was afraid to mess with it or try to push it back up. I think with this info I should be good to go. I can like the cam up without too much hassle, I just couldn't get that 1 can back in because the tappet was in the way. I really appreciate the quick responses, this is my first Harley so I use stuff like this to learn. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes when I get it done.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Newmonster
Intermediate

Ran into a problem trying to push the tappet up, it's not going anywhere. How much pressure needs to be applied? Any tricks to do it?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Sportstatler
Advanced

Ran into a problem trying to push the tappet up, it's not going anywhere. How much pressure needs to be applied? Any tricks to do it?
Did you get it yet? If not, try rolling bike or tire to change position of motor. The push rod may be keeping you from pushing it up by hand, or the push rod is not going into tappet. The tappet should push up easily.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Newmonster
Intermediate

I got it all fixed up, used a pry bar to pull the the spring down so I could get the cam in. Everything is foxed now. Man I'm super drunk, hang loose brothers!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got it all fixed up, used a pry bar to pull the the spring down so I could get the cam in. Everything is foxed now. Man I'm super drunk, hang loose brothers!
I think we found the problem hahaha

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Sportstatler
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nubz
I think we found the problem hahaha
yup! lol