Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY seat pan/electrical cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Kevin883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DIY seat pan/electrical cover?

Last night I began chopping my rear fender/fender struts. Only problem, is I don't have a new solo seat yet. I refuse to spend 300+ for a spring solo seat that sits higher than the stock ugly seat. Has anyone made their own seat pan that mounts directly to the frame, over the electrical? I know it will be uncomfortable running struts, but that doesn't bother me. I just need something somewhat smooth to sit my rear on and cover the wires. What have you guys done? Or pictures of solos/spring seats that don't sit ten feet in the air! Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you enjoy getting bucked off

Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM
usetheBFH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Guess you don't ride very far. Just make something like the cafe style guys have, flat and minimal, of course you won't have the tail section.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Dafy
Tourer

And that will happen, at least if you're a lightweight like me. If I hit a big pothole at hiway speeds, I come a good 4" off the seat - kinda scary but I'm getting used to it. Mine is a spring seat without the springs, just a rubber mount. I bent the tab so it sits actually a fair bit lower than stock. But it did cost a few bucks, a Licks Retro Racer:

Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dafy
And that will happen, at least if you're a lightweight like me. If I hit a big pothole at hiway speeds, I come a good 4" off the seat - kinda scary but I'm getting used to it. Mine is a spring seat without the springs, just a rubber mount. I bent the tab so it sits actually a fair bit lower than stock. But it did cost a few bucks, a Licks Retro Racer:

Love your bike!

The op wants to ride on a solid mount seat on rigid struts, at least you have shocks.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 PM
USMCDevilDogg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ployd4
Check out this thread from Mwizard.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-10-bucks.html
great link...thanx

Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Dafy
Tourer

Thank man. I've done some work since that pic, ground about 4" off the rear of the front fender. I also ground about 8" off the rear fender, added a Model A tail light, and relocated the signals to the top shock mount with a bracket I made. Will post pics once it's all assembled.

I don't know what the effect would be of having struts, but I can only image it would have me flying even higher off the seat?

To the OP: don't underestimate the effects of this, it can be a real eye opening experience and lead to a very uncertain ride. When my *** comes off the seat, it also has the effect of having me need to re-find my position on the footpegs. Not fun.

Much of my riding is on the hi way and it's no fun. I suspect once I dial in the new shocks and throw some money into the front end it will help, but with struts you obviously don't have that option in the rear. Caveat emptor, as they say.

Edit: I have no problems under 100kph, even with big potholes. If most of your riding is city, you should be ok.

Shawn

Love your bike!

The op wants to ride on a solid mount seat on rigid struts, at least you have shocks.

Last edited by Dafy; 06-23-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:42 AM
IVthCrusade
Advanced

did you need the licks mounting hardware for that seat? it's $129 for the hardware alone. I want a solo seat that sits low like yours, but I have an 08, so I'm not sure how much of a pain in the *** it'll be

Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Dafy
Tourer

Yeah bought the mounting kit but ended up not using it. Sitting in the garage lol

Quick Reply: DIY seat pan/electrical cover?