Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Dilemma.

Looking for some advice and opinions about what you guys would do if you were in my current situation.

About 2 weeks ago I took my bike into the local dealer to get a new front tire put on. My bike has the 21" laced wheel. After the mechanic takes the wheel off he calls me over and shows me that the left side of the rim has a slight wave in it. I'd say it was a 3" section that flared out slightly. The right side was normal. After he put the new tire on and put it back on the bike he showed me that there were a handful of spokes that were loose and advised that I get the rim or whole wheel replaced immediately and that my bike was not safe to ride. He also stated that the wheel could fold in at anytime.

A little background on my bike. I bought it new in 2009 with about 2 miles on the odometer and when the tire was replaced, I had about 17000 miles on it. This was the first time my tire was changed too. For all I know I could of bent the rim the day I got the bike almost 4 years ago or it could of happened the day before I got the tire replaced.

Well, I didn't listen to the mechanic and have put about 1000 miles on the bike since I took it in about 2 weeks ago. I even went on a 600 mile weekend trip and the bike rode fine. At any speed, whether it be 20mph or 80mph, the right side of the rim looks fine. Looking at the wheel from the top, there is no side to side wobble. Looking at the left side, there is a slight up and down movement.

The thing is that the bike rides the same as it did the day I drove it off the lot. Now, would you guys go and get the rim/wheel completely replaced or just continue to ride as is? I got quotes today on a custom mag wheel for the front and the best I got was $540 plus tax and reusing my new wheel. If I had to get the new rim, I could, but I would rather put that money elsewhere.

Let's hear what you guys think!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I think you can get the rim straightened and "trued" (spokes properly tightened) if you are really concerned. Contact a bicycle shop if your shop does not have a contact for that.

Did the shop leave the spokes loose? That seems weird if they did, they should at least true the rim/wheel before/after putting on the tire. I had a buddy who was a bicycle racer, they are totally into this ****.

Otherwise, seems like it's not an issue with driveability, so leave it be.

Wow, 17k in three years, it's taken me 22 to get to 13k! Ride on, bro.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 06-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why didn't the shop tighten the spokes?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

I guess I forgot to mention that yes, they did tighten the spokes that were loose.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

Ah, well in that case... As long as there is no drive-ability issue and no noticeable damage then I wouldn't worry about it. I might take it to a different indy shop and have it checked again just to be sure.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

When it comes to safety issues, I'm not one to tempt fate. Just because you've gotten lucky doesn't mean the well won't run dry. Now I don't know about the structural integrity of wheels, but I will say that I wouldn't want to push it. If that wheel does collapse at 60 mph you can rest assured it will be catastrophic.

I would call a few shops and tell them about the wheel and ask them if they'd continue to ride on it. You don't want to be penny wise and death foolish.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM
RAL
Cruiser

You should see the front rim on my Ural, she aint pretty. Took it to a "expert" to get tuned. He said it was too out to be used. Bought a new rim she was worse than the first one( way more than a slight wave). He laced it up said it was good to go............it was horrable. Found a true bike mech that knew his stuff and she rides fine now. I would find someone that has a good rep as a bike builder/mech that has been it it for a while, someone who "knows" spoked wheels and takes pride in being a craftsman. Let him figure out what your true options are.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why we call them stealerships. I remember taking one of my vehicles in to get repaired and the mechanic whaling on the rim with a sledge hammer to beat it back into shape and it rode fine for years after that. Dont know how true that would work for a bike. Dont see why not. I'd be a little more gentler.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a laced wheel fold up under me, it wasn't fun. I'd get it taken care of, pronto.
Asphalt doesn't feel good when you slide on it.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior

You guys have convinced me enough to buy a new rim. Should be in next week. I got a mag wheel through HD. I'll post pics when it gets installed.

Quick Reply: My Dilemma.