Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter Leaking???WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Filter Leaking???WTF

Okay so this is the best way I can describe this, it seems to me that my air intake is leaking some type of fluid.
I have a DK Custom Oulaw Air Intake system. I absolutely love it, I noticed a big difference in performance on the Sporty as soon as it went on.
However, the other night my girl and I went out for a ride to catch a movie. When we were leaving the theater I noticed some residue on my point cover.
Of course I did the typical finger swipe and sniff and it didnt smell like anything in particular and it wasnt a lot so I figured it would be safe to ride home.
Well we made it back, I let the bike sit overnight and checked it this morning and noticed that there wasnt anymore fluid on anything.
I felt around the engine to see if I could find the point of origin of where the residue came from and finally came to the air filter and noticed that right where the air intake mounting bracket meets the carburetor there was a significant amount of residue.
I have no idea what this could be; could it be fuel? Oil? Both? I have no idea and any help would be appreciate. Im hoping its nothing serious and an easy fix.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Ironman 883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably oil man. Mine leaks like a mother****. You can get breather kits that discharge the oil elsewhere.

Sidenote: Nice *** bike, really dig it

Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 AM
yet_erp
Cruiser

If you overfill the oil tank on a Sporty, it'll puke it out through the air cleaner.
I'd start by checking the oil level, mine likes to run 2/3 up the stick. Use your wife's turkey baster and suck a little out if it's fuller than that. Lots of threads on here about this problem. Some make fancy crankcase breathers even.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser

@Ironman, thanks man. Im pretty sure its oil too.
@yet erp, I wouldve never thought to check the oil level or to use the turkey baster haha.
Im actually due for an oil change tomorrow so I will be sure to keep an eye on all the fluids. Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Someone peed on it while you were in the movie house..........good thing you only smelled it and didnt try to taste it.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
CAVSportster
Cruiser

lmao Im pretty sure it wasnt urine, but if by the slim chance it is, I hope that person goes to the doc and gets checked out cause there is something seriously wrong with thier urine!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
whataboutbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rog48
someone peed on it while you were in the movie house..........good thing you only smelled it and didnt try to taste it.
rofl...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
jjames
Tourer

There are some misprints about the correct amount of oil. I change my fluids last weekend start with 3 quarts (I went with amsoil synthetic 10w-40) put about 4 ounces in the filter to soak before putting it on, and dump almost all the rest into the oil tank. I had a few ounces left and put me halway up the stick. No puking out the heavy breather anymore. Also if you do the primary/tranny that one is one quart and I used the same amsoil. The motor is running a lot cooler now and my tranny is smoother and much quieter.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jjames
There are some misprints about the correct amount of oil. I change my fluids last weekend start with 3 quarts (I went with amsoil synthetic 10w-40) put about 4 ounces in the filter to soak before putting it on, and dump almost all the rest into the oil tank. I had a few ounces left and put me halway up the stick. No puking out the heavy breather anymore. Also if you do the primary/tranny that one is one quart and I used the same amsoil. The motor is running a lot cooler now and my tranny is smoother and much quieter.
10w-40 in the summer?
I didn't realize that summer temps in Ohio ran below 40*

Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
jjames
Tourer

I questioned it myself when the indy sent me on my way with those but the shops been in business a long time and does a lot of business. I even checked over on xlforum to see if people were running it without issues. I'm no mechanic or gearhead. I turn a wrench when I can and things seem simple so I trust what the indy tells me. CHarley I've read a lot of posts from you in trying to learn things about my bike so I trust you know what your talking about so if I'm gonna f up my bike or suffer negative consequences let me know, but the shifts are smooth and it does seem to be running cooler.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Leaking???WTF