Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM
bigbush
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why ride?

After three very close calls in as many days, im thinking that riding bike is not for me. In my riding career i have written off two bikes and had too many close calls to count. At 30 years old, married,successful business owner, and soon to be father is riding a bike responsible?

You can be the safest best rider in the world and it doesnt matter. It only takes one idiot in a car to ruin your day or life.

I love the open road, the freedom, the wrenching, the experience. But is it worth the enormous risk?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM
jlilnc14
Cruiser

Sorry to hear that but its a smart idea to have your family in mind. Im still young without a family and all that stuff, so im getting my riding days over with before i have kids and other stuff.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Learn to anticipate what the idiots will do.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Ironman 883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You run risks no matter what you drive. I'll take a bike over a car. Unless it's a serious car, I can stop faster, turn harder, speed up more quickly. I've had reallly close calls on my bike and in my car, but my skill helped me avoid them, I have trust in myself before others, and if you loose your confidence you'll surely put yourself in more risk.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

You do what you need to do. I'm is the same boat but choose to ride. Life is like poker, play the hand your dealt or fold!

The following users liked this post:
rocketnorton (05-09-2023)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get killed crossing the street. I can understand taking less risks due to family however don't stop doing something you enjoy.
If you aren't passionate about riding then sell the bike but if it's inside of you,that burning desire to be in the wind,then what kind of living are you doing without it.
If I didn't have my Harley I would be riding a metric(I have 2 honda's actually). For me it's a feeling,a need,an itch that I have to scratch. I will never give up riding a bike and when I can't ride on 2 wheels I will build a 3 wheeler.
In the wind is an addiction for me,LIVE TO RIDE

Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM
MK1200C
Novice

Originally Posted by Ironman 883
You run risks no matter what you drive. I'll take a bike over a car. Unless it's a serious car, I can stop faster, turn harder, speed up more quickly. I've had reallly close calls on my bike and in my car, but my skill helped me avoid them, I have trust in myself before others, and if you loose your confidence you'll surely put yourself in more risk.
LOL your kidding right? Your trying to tell us that you'd rather be on an 833 sportster rather then in a car in a close call situation or g-d forbid an accident? I don't care how experienced you are on a bike especially an 883 sportster (lets not kid ourselves its no sport bike or ducatti when it comes to speed and handling) if my little sister is on the road (had her license for 4 months) i wish you the best of luck. People on cell phones run red lights, stop signs, yield signs etc. without any regard of who's around. You also have A LOT better chance of not getting hurt if you do have an accident, trust me i know, i ran my 650i bmw into a house and came out unharmed (good driving runs in the family and no we aren't Asian). OHHH and I've never had to worry about oil or wet spots in my car.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
GabbarSingh
Novice

I'm a father of two young children and active military. Currently on parental leave. I get maybe an hour out on my own a day. That feeling of being on the bike (and I'm a new rider to boot, so still have some of those newbie jitters), even for such a small period of time is priceless.
I'll admit though. The thought of my family and the idiocy of other drivers isn't always that far from my thoughts. It's a tough call, but even if you give it up, you're going to miss it...I know that I would.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man it's a tough call, one I have struggled with too but you simply have to look at the risk vs. reward. This is a personal choice based on your own level of reward derived from riding. I have been very lucky and have only had one close call. Luck isn't the only reason I have been safe though, I have been diligent when it comes to riding intelligently and safely. I fully realize I can not control the cars around me but I do everything I possibly can to ride safely with them. Life is a risk but it's up to you which risks are worth taking.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbush
After three very close calls in as many days, im thinking that riding bike is not for me. In my riding career i have written off two bikes and had too many close calls to count. At 30 years old, married,successful business owner, and soon to be father is riding a bike responsible?

You can be the safest best rider in the world and it doesnt matter. It only takes one idiot in a car to ruin your day or life.

I love the open road, the freedom, the wrenching, the experience. But is it worth the enormous risk?
If you gotta ask the question then hang up your keys....

The following 3 users liked this post by 2011Deluxe:
HD676 (05-05-2023), HotRod917 (05-15-2023), LordSargon (05-18-2023)

Quick Reply: why ride?