Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbush
After three very close calls in as many days, im thinking that riding bike is not for me. In my riding career i have written off two bikes and had too many close calls to count. At 30 years old, married,successful business owner, and soon to be father is riding a bike responsible?

You can be the safest best rider in the world and it doesnt matter. It only takes one idiot in a car to ruin your day or life.

I love the open road, the freedom, the wrenching, the experience. But is it worth the enormous risk?
I know this is going to sound bad, but I say it for you and others who may be faced with the same dilemma.

If you find that nearly every ride you go on has a number of "near misses" or "close calls" it could be that your riding skills aren't as good as they could be. Or, as I used to tell my son when he felt the world was against him; "In a world that can't agree on Coke or Pepsi; what are the chances they've all joined together to work against you?"

I, like many others on this forum have ridden many years and miles. I've been riding 42 years and have covered north of a half million miles. During those miles I've travelled from Key West to the Arctic Circle, New York City to old Mexico and nearly all points in between.

The point is, if it were as dangerous for me and the other long time riders on this forum that have exposed themsleves to the risk of riding for as long as we have, we should all be dead. But we aren't. We aren't because we learned to manage the risks of riding and that includes being hyper aware and highly skilled. Not a ride goes by that I don't critique myself harshly for little things that could have been a problem if something happened. Not a ride goes by that I don't specifically put the motorcycle in place or position that is most beneficial for safety.

Plain and simple; I often see other riders who are only getting away with riding, they are not skilled riders. They barely get away with the basics of starting, stopping and turning. When something happens, they have no reserve of skills to deal with it and in many cases have to deal with something that they never should have been presented with. IE riding in a cars blind spot or the like.

I know this will make some people angry, if it does, please consider that you may be one of those people who are merely getting away with it. To remedy this you can seek out training and practice your skills every time you get on the bike. Wear what gear (or not) you think would be appropriate in the event of a crash.

Whatever you decide, please please please, don't be one of those X riders who has nothing but horror stories that I have to listen to while I'm trying to fill up the tank. "I used to ride but I gave it up. Too dangerous! I used to have a (insert bike model here) and had to lay er down to keep from getting killed."

Because all I hear is "I never learned how to ride very well and had close calls everytime I rode. Finally, one call got too close and I stomped the rear brake in a panic and inadvertantly low sided my machine."

If Loud Pipes Save Lives; Just Think What Learning How To Ride The Thing Could Do.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 06-15-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

If there are any riders out there who think they are so proficient that they can evade any threat, stay out out of deer country. A couple of days ago a doe ran in front of me. Was able to stop in plenty of time. But luckily there was only one. While I was braking I would have been screwed if additional deer ran out, which happens a lot.

Personally, I think any rider who looks at other's accidents and always thinks that they are smarter and would have evaded the accident is fooling themselves. Anyone could have too many factors to evaluate at once and end up in an accident. It is a risk you must take.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Here's My Take

Originally Posted by bigbush
After three very close calls in as many days, im thinking that riding bike is not for me. In my riding career i have written off two bikes and had too many close calls to count. At 30 years old, married,successful business owner, and soon to be father is riding a bike responsible?
I am going to try to be as objective as possible. THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK, JUST AN OBSERVATION OF GIVEN FACT!

At 30 years old and already "written off" 2 bikes you might want to take a serious look at your riding attitude and/or possibly skills. Although riding does come with its share of risk, "to many close calls to count" and "three very close calls in as many days" should be a wake up call that something is not quite right.

It is also possible that when and where you are riding is dangerous. Given the fact that your personal life is about to kick into high gear it is smart to question if riding is the responsible thing to keep doing. I would re-evaluate my riding habits, start taking some training and insure myself out the wazoo. All three would probably be the best course.

I personally gave up riding before my first was born and didn't resume again until the last ones college was paid for. The wife and I also gave up boating until the kids were old enough to be responsible to enjoy and be safe during. I've always been worth more dead than alive, but have also wanted to be around to enjoy the family life. Now riding time has become the wifes and my fun time together.

These are all decisions that you will have to make.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM
South JerseyJoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Learn to anticipate what the idiots will do.
+1 on that....has served me well!

Lots of things can happen on any given day in life, but each person must live with their decisions.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes I ask myself this very question, but when I get on my bike I love it. Last Friday a friend of mine had a bad bike accident and it makes you think, but he is a new rider. Yes you can get hust or die doing just about anything, but to the guy that said he feels safer on a bike than in a car is just crazy! I can go outside right now, run my car into one of the trees in the parking lot and come out just fine, but try that on a bike, not so good of an outcome.

Riding is not for everyone and I don't ride as much as I use to, but tomorrow i'm going on a long ride to the lake.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM
frankhafer@hotmail.com
6th Gear

Lock your doors,have a seat on the couch and watch some TV. You'll be safe that way.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Kontiki mentioned situational awerness...this is KEY, being defensive and proactive are KEY, as others said, keep your eyes on the mirrors at stops, flashing your brake lights to warn those behind and leave an out. Read the drivers around you, you know people are going to make last minute lane changes, you know people are going to turn in front of you...use the horn when you are approaching intersections, diveways etc. and you see someone hesitating....on and on it goes. I drive and ride for a living and believe me, you have to always be aware and prepared. Do not take anything for granted...be confident of your skills. If you cannot meet any of the above, sell your bike and walk away.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
bigbush
Cruiser

Thanks for everyones opinions and thoughts. I have decided to hang up the leathers (for awhile). I have plenty other hobbies i can do. I love bikes, but just cant accept the risks. Its not so much the lack of confidence in my skills but the lack of confidence in the people i share the road with.

Just want to say thanks to the forum members here that have helped me with my sporty. The forum saved me lots of time and $!

Cheers!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you are hoping someone talks you out of giving up riding. To be brief, you are never going to enjoy riding if you are perpetually preoccupied by the inherent dangers. I'm not saying you shouldn't be cognizant of, and prepared for, the danger, but if you are thinking about wrecking every time you ride, it's probably time to hang it up.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

You'll be back... Once bitten, there is no cure.

Quick Reply: why ride?