Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

quit riding please!!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 AM
MK1200C
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman 883
I have a lot better chance of avoiding an accident on my bike. I dont think I'd ever be foolish enough to drive into a house, let alone do it then say good driving runs in the family. I've been on the road for 7 years without an accident. I've had countless people make mistakes on the road that could of harm me, but I keep my bike in order. Sportster or kawaski doesnt matter, on my sporty I don't drive as fast, on the rocket I do because I can safely
You've obviously never rode in Los Angeles, I know people that have had way more experience then seven years on the road/track and have been in major accidents. One guy was sitting at a red light and got rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe, I want to see you maneuver out of that. Don't get me wrong I do ride and I do find it worth the risk but I'm not in denial about the fact that there is a chance every time i get on the bike something may happen to me.

And about me driving into a house. I was bored one night and decieded to find out if my car was really the ultimate driving machine (650i BMW), needless to say it turned out it wasn't. So I got a Porsche

You sound like nice kid, a little naive but never the less a nice kid and I think your bike is kick ***

Old 06-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Originally Posted by MK1200C
You've obviously never rode in Los Angeles, I know people that have had way more experience then seven years on the road/track and have been in major accidents. One guy was sitting at a red light and got rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe, I want to see you maneuver out of that. Don't get me wrong I do ride and I do find it worth the risk but I'm not in denial about the fact that there is a chance every time i get on the bike something may happen to me.

And about me driving into a house. I was bored one night and decieded to find out if my car was really the ultimate driving machine (650i BMW), needless to say it turned out it wasn't. So I got a Porsche

You sound like nice kid, a little naive but never the less a nice kid and I think your bike is kick ***
hate when i cant just Quote what i want. Ok as for the guy getting hit at a stop, He wasnt payinf attention, I ALWAYS watch behind me in the mirrors and I have always dodged the asshats that are comeing up on me to fast. Keep your bike in 1st gear and theres always an out, even if you have to make a quick turn to avoid the idiots in back of you.

For the OP, Do what you must, if you lose even a bit of your confidence on a bike, you will be a danger to yourself and others. Me, i had bikes up until i got hitched(all to familiar story), took 16myears off then got back in the saddle and it was like i never forgot, Only one laydown because of a driver on a cell, but besides that, nothing else. Im classified a cripple and still ride with the best of them, i have a great wife of 21 years today,2 sons, one 20 and one 13 with an uncureable condition and i feel confident enough to ride every day. You just need to be smarter than the others, Make use of a loud horn at intersections, even while your riding and see someone it going to be making a turn, use common sense and you cut your risk of a crash atleast in half. Give the cages enough room in front of you and you can usually get by, Also just think in the back of your mind what you would do in a cage when your out there and you can avoid just about anything. Its like the cage that passes you on the highway a half mile from an exit, you know hes going to possibly cut you or someone else off getting off that exit. Just be smarter than the other guy.

If you cant get over the feeling your going to get hurt, really consider giving it up. Always ride with the thought of a possible upcomeing problem, because even over confidence leads to a bad result also.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Only you can make that decision. Last night I took my first step in almost two months. In the first week of May, a texter cause my accident. I will have titanium alloy in my foot and leg for the rest of my life. However, I bought a brand new bike a week ago. Should have seen me sitting there in crutches signing paperwork.

The wife wasn't thrilled but it is in my blood. Been riding since the age of 5.

When I was 18, I had a bad wreck as well. Flew 75 ft into on coming traffic. A woman did an illegal uturn right into me.

I think the danger, thrill, and the freedom is what drives our types.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

I can see the O/P,s point ,
i was in the same position 13 years ago , i never had a car licence until i had a young family , I never needed a car and i didn't want one ,
Ive been riding for many years , 37 or so , but having a family does make you think on a different level , its not only you that will be affected if the worse should happen but your wife and children as well ,

a few years ago , i had just done a pretty bad winters commuting , riding in snow , ice and freezing conditions , down to -13 on a couple of mornings in the dark , 55 miles to work and back , a mix of country lanes , motorways and very busy city roads ,
i had those "ho ****" moments about every couple of miles and though thats it , no more ,
i passed my car test and bought a small 4x4 ,
I sold my bike ( TRIUMPH TIGER 900 ) 6 months later when my baby was born , it was a mix of needing the money and feeling mortal that forced my hand .

if your not enjoying the ride don't do it , take a time out and see how you feel in a year or 2 ,

I now have 3 children
aged 6 , 9 and 13 , and after a few years off , a Harley Fat bob ,

i ride as often as the weather allows , mostly during the week when the children are in school and only for my own enjoyment .
its often enough to keep me smiling and i still get my freedom fix without missing any family time ..... enjoy your new baby

Last edited by MADDOG187; 06-15-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

It's definitely a crap shoot out there, but I can't NOT ride. It's the one thing I've found that makes me forget about everything else.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Only you can live your life. I actually regret not pulling the trigger and buying a Harley many years ago but I was too busy working, raising a family and trying to build a career.

I missed out on some good times, now I'm sort of playing catch up. But driving a bike is sort of like flying a plane, you need good judgement, situational awareness and self control. Plus you need to stay active or these skills get rusty.

Having said that, there are areas of the country that are much more dangerous to ride than others. They are dangerous driving a cage also, its just that you have some metal to protect you. Fortunately I don't live in one of those places, but that would be (and has been) a consideration for me.

I support whatever decision you make.

Last edited by kontiki; 06-15-2012 at 06:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
glockr (05-10-2023)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Originally Posted by guitarman023
It's the one thing I've found that makes me forget about everything else.
have you tried whisky and sleeping pills ?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 AM
kknickmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. I quit for a few years but always missed it. At retirement my wife bought me a sportster. I've since added a Switchback and ride most every day.
If you feel nervous about riding then don't, this is all about enjoyment. Kurt

Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Intermediate
Default riding or not

Been riding off and on for 40 years. Laid my first bike (1970 650 Triumph) down on the way home after picking it up new in 1970. My fault from lack of riding knowledge. My 5th bike I laid down on way home. Honda Goldwing, just more bike than I could handle. To heavy and to high center of gravity. OK and me being stupid too. My Heritage Classic is heavy too but the center of gravity is much lower and I feel easier to handle than the Honda. As far as riding I truly believe that if you expect that car on the side street is going to pull out in front of you every time you approach a car on a side street that your survival rate will be acceptable beside I agree with those that have said when it's your time your gonna go whether your on a bike or in a car!! Ride on fellow bikers!!

Quick Reply: why ride?