Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much oil typically drains...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how much oil typically drains...

...out during an oil change on a 1200?

Did a change a few months back and if memory serves correctly, I added oil to the new filter, then poured three qts into the oil tank. Afterward, I filled the three empty bottles and had about 1/4-1/2 qt left in my pan that I qas able to add to another container all for diaposal.

Well, it was time for another change. I check the oil regularly and it was still reading good when I started the change yesterday. I drained rhe oil til no more came out. I pulled off the filter, spilling a little out. After it was empty, I added oil to the new filter installed it then began pouring oil in the tank.

After 3 qts total, it looked fuul. Took a reading...was a tad high. I fired her up and let her run a minute. Checked again.same thing. Went for a ride 15-20 mins checked, same.

Then I went to pour the old oil into the empty bottles for disposal. Filled 2 3/4 bottles after draining the filter

So I pulled out juat under 3 and put in 3 exactly.

Something just doesn't feel right. I know I opened and used part of the 4th bottle on the last change because it is still sitting on my shelf.,.but this time, I only needed three.

Am I missing something? Is this normal? This is only the second change I have done myself on this bike so this might be normal, I dont know, what are your experiences?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you're not underfilled or overfilled, so it's not a problem. Sometimes you just don't get all the oil out.

The following users liked this post:
meajom1 (10-14-2021)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh who care's. As long as old oil is coming out and you fill it up with new oil, what does it matter? Maybe the old oil wasn't hot enough before pulling the plug so not all of it came out?

Rob Roy's Revenge (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:08 PM
John Blake
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madchemist24
...out during an oil change on a 1200?

Did a change a few months back and if memory serves correctly, I added oil to the new filter, then poured three qts into the oil tank. Afterward, I filled the three empty bottles and had about 1/4-1/2 qt left in my pan that I qas able to add to another container all for diaposal.

Well, it was time for another change. I check the oil regularly and it was still reading good when I started the change yesterday. I drained rhe oil til no more came out. I pulled off the filter, spilling a little out. After it was empty, I added oil to the new filter installed it then began pouring oil in the tank.

After 3 qts total, it looked fuul. Took a reading...was a tad high. I fired her up and let her run a minute. Checked again.same thing. Went for a ride 15-20 mins checked, same.

Then I went to pour the old oil into the empty bottles for disposal. Filled 2 3/4 bottles after draining the filter

So I pulled out juat under 3 and put in 3 exactly.

Something just doesn't feel right. I know I opened and used part of the 4th bottle on the last change because it is still sitting on my shelf.,.but this time, I only needed three.

Am I missing something? Is this normal? This is only the second change I have done myself on this bike so this might be normal, I dont know, what are your experiences?
is the bike uprite or leaning during drain? You have cavities all thru motor that can hold oil.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,039 Likes on 589 Posts

Yes there are oil galleries inside the motor that hold onto some of the old oil, you need oil to be up in the valve gear for the initial restart after the oil has been changed, if you don't have any oil up there it will be metal against metal and expensive damage will occur inside the motor.

Just put the recommended amount of oil into the tank and take it for a ride round the block, check the oil level again and if it's below the middle of the dipstick add more oil until it half way up.

If the motorcycle has been stood idle for a long time, due to the effect of gravity oil can drain past the oil pump and collect in the bottom of the motor, that's called wet sumping. If your motor has wet sumped and you top up the oil tank, it can give a false reading with the first dip, that's why you need to take it for a ride so that the pump can return the oil from the bottom of the motor back into the tank.

Never overfill the tank with oil, any excess oil will be ejected through the head breather bolts and make a mess of your oil filter.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:25 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,334 Likes on 3,217 Posts

I drain the warm/hot oil on the side stand until no more comes out, then sitting on the bike I lean the bike over towards it's right side for 10-15 seconds or so and then back on the side stand a couple of times. Probably get another cup or so of oil out of the tank doing that. The times I have poured the used oil back in the bottles, I'd say I end up with 2 3/4 quarts. Some was burned, some is still in the motor.

Reinstall the drain plug, pour in 3 quarts of oil which puts it at the full mark, done. Never had a single issue with oil in the air cleaner. Then move on to the filter.

Iron Horse 13 (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 07:58 AM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,039 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Roy's Revenge
Yes there are oil galleries inside the motor that hold onto some of the old oil, you need oil to be up in the valve gear for the initial restart after the oil has been changed, if you don't have any oil up there it will be metal against metal and expensive damage will occur inside the motor.

Just put the recommended amount of oil into the tank and take it for a ride round the block, check the oil level again and if it's below the middle of the dipstick add more oil until it half way up.

If the motorcycle has been stood idle for a long time, due to the effect of gravity oil can drain past the oil pump and collect in the bottom of the motor, that's called wet sumping. If your motor has wet sumped and you top up the oil tank, it can give a false reading with the first dip, that's why you need to take it for a ride so that the pump can return the oil from the bottom of the motor back into the tank.

Never overfill the tank with oil, any excess oil will be ejected through the head breather bolts and make a mess of your air filter.
I hope this has helped you.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:11 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,751 Likes on 991 Posts

Maybe you bike was leaning some or engine not warned up could be anything. As long 95% is new oil your good. And even if it wasn't your bike would not disintegrate in front of you. Sometimes people reed to much into something, that's the norm in this forum.

LowSpeeeJames (09-13-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 08:33 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 693 Likes on 453 Posts

What was it, 9 years ago. Bet he got it figured out by no or is he hoping to get it right so he can ride again. LOL

firehawk6 (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 08:47 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,334 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Originally Posted by apache snow
What was it, 9 years ago. Bet he got it figured out by no or is he hoping to get it right so he can ride again. LOL
DOH... I didn't even look at the date of the OP post...

Quick Reply: how much oil typically drains...