Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
pnags05
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy gas milage

Hey all I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting to know everybody. A couple weeks ago I bought my first bike its a 2007 Sportster 1200 Roadster. It currently has 3100 miles on it. Bike runs great except for the fuel economy is horrible. I know Sportsters are not known for any decent range to a tank of gas but I was hoping to get a little better than 79 miles to a tank. I don't ride the bike hard and I am very easy on the throttle. I just commute back and forth to work with it on the highway at about 65-70 mph. I always run premium fuel as well. I can't seem to get any better than 36 miles per gallon. I think this is pretty horrible for a 1200cc engine that's driven easy. All my buddies ride big twins and ride the **** outta them and STILL get 46 mpg lol. Any suggestions or ideas as to why I'm getting so poor? Bike has new air filter, fresh oil change, and always has premium gas in it. Thought about throwing a set of plugs in it but according to my OM it's not ready for plugs yet. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:11 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by pnags05
Hey all I'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting to know everybody. A couple weeks ago I bought my first bike its a 2007 Sportster 1200 Roadster. It currently has 3100 miles on it. Bike runs great except for the fuel economy is horrible. I know Sportsters are not known for any decent range to a tank of gas but I was hoping to get a little better than 79 miles to a tank. I don't ride the bike hard and I am very easy on the throttle. I just commute back and forth to work with it on the highway at about 65-70 mph. I always run premium fuel as well. I can't seem to get any better than 36 miles per gallon. I think this is pretty horrible for a 1200cc engine that's driven easy. All my buddies ride big twins and ride the **** outta them and STILL get 46 mpg lol. Any suggestions or ideas as to why I'm getting so poor? Bike has new air filter, fresh oil change, and always has premium gas in it. Thought about throwing a set of plugs in it but according to my OM it's not ready for plugs yet. Thanks!
That's definitely low if most of the riding is cruising 65-70. You should be getting closer to the mid-upper forties.

What I see is a 5 year old bike that spent most of it's life parked. (<600 miles a year)
If the bike wasn't prepped properly for storage, you could have a gummed up fuel system from stale gas. I'd suggest picking up some Seafoam at your local auto parts store and add it to the next several tanks of gas per the directions on the can. I think it's 1 oz per gallon. It may not be the problem, but it won't hurt as a start to at least make sure the fuel system is clean.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM
ClassicBill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your buddies say they are getting 46 riding hard and fast with a big twin they are fudging the figures to you. For a twincam to get that kind of mileage is a rare thing, but doable under just the right circumstances. NOT the norm.with that said you should be getting around 40-45 with yours. that will be lower with ethanol gas if that is what you have in your area. With as few miles as your bike has you might try some fuel system cleanerand see if that helps, may havesat for long periods with questionable gas in it.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM
pnags05
Stage IV

Ya yall are probably right. The dealer told me that the guy that traded it in bought it brand new and only put 2800 miles on it in 5 years. So I know it sat alot in storage. I was hoping that after 3 or 4 tanks of fuel any fuel system problems would have gone away by now since I ride it daily. I guess I'll try dumping some injector cleaner in it and then see how it goes. Somebody at work told me that HD's don't see any decent fuel economy numbers until they get about 5 or 6k miles on them since everything is still breaking in and seating. Does this sound accurate?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somebody at work told me that HD's don't see any decent fuel economy numbers until they get about 5 or 6k miles on them since everything is still breaking in and seating. Does this sound accurate?
Mine only has 1400 miles and I get 46 on the highway.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
Mine only has 1400 miles and I get 46 on the highway.
I too get close to that with a 106. My highway mileage is at least 42mpg if I'm not riding into a serious headwind. 46mph if no wind at all.
I can't imagine getting less than that,especially in a 1200cc bike.
As already mentioned it's likely a carb issue

Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Ya yall are probably right. The dealer told me that the guy that traded it in bought it brand new and only put 2800 miles on it in 5 years. So I know it sat alot in storage. I was hoping that after 3 or 4 tanks of fuel any fuel system problems would have gone away by now since I ride it daily. I guess I'll try dumping some injector cleaner in it and then see how it goes. Somebody at work told me that HD's don't see any decent fuel economy numbers until they get about 5 or 6k miles on them since everything is still breaking in and seating. Does this sound accurate?
They typically don't reach their peak mileage until 4-5K miles, but you should still be getting much better than you are now.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, with cHarley. With the low miles, some Seafoam will most likely take care of that. If not, see if there is a newer version map for the EFI. That will sometimes effect fuel mileage. I dunno why, but it does.

You should be in the mid to upper 40's on mpg.

Last edited by SportyPig; 06-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Van/TX
1st Gear

Wow, that is low mileage. I'm getting between 52 and 56 consistently on back roads/highway (no city riding). Speed range between 50 and 70 mph. I keep rpm's normally between 2800 and 3000. These results are for the last 3,000 miles. Bike has 10,500 miles on it. Everything is completely stock.

Last edited by Van/TX; 06-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:03 PM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a leak...you should get at least 50mpg...what do you have, like a 4 gal tank? that should be good for about 200 miles...either you have a leak or your calculation is off...

Quick Reply: Crappy gas milage