Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer trips more 2-up friendly

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer trips more 2-up friendly

So today me and my girl sat on the fat bob, switchback, an softail slim. While all these are awesome bikes I can't bring myself to part with my iron. Also I do not want to spend 16k sticker on a bike when I think I can make my bike work just fine. Basically when I bought the iron as my first bike I had a cafe racer in mind but now everytime I ride it seems the grl is with me and I actually like going on day trips and going I new places on the bike. So basically what I'm asking is for pics and advice of specific product recommendations for shocks, seats, windshields, and even handle bar company's. Also is there anyplace that you can Atleast sit on a seat before you buy it ? It's kid of a big investment to order offline IMO. Overall looking to spend 1000 or less to turn this bike into a weekend 2-up " touring bike" my sig pic is how my bike sits to date. The current seat is the badlander which is awful after a couple hours!!

Thanks everyone

Last edited by IronBoy883; 06-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with a Mustang seat. Lots of upgrades for shocks out there. Anything is better than the stock crap shocks. I have the Progressive 440 IAS, Ricor Intiminators in the forks, night and day over stock, and I ride solo.

For windshields I have the HD Sport detachable. Because I hate the look of them so I like to get it off ASAP.

BTW I rode the Slim a few weeks ago....that will be my next bike.

Last edited by CanuckSporty; 06-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Wink

There are three stages to improving comfort: change of tyre brand, replacement shocks, seat. Brands like Avon and Metzeler ride much smoother than stock, so they underpin any other improvments you make, however you can change from stock at normal tyre time (just thrash the darned things to get through them!).

An alternative to a Mustang is a Sundowner and you should be able to try one of them at your local dealer. If your budget is solid, forget all other brands of shocks and phone Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal. He will custom build you a set of Ohlins. The lovely lady in your life deserves the best!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Just did a 3 day weekend trip in the north GA mountains 2 up with the girlfriend. We both smoke and there was a ton of stuff to see up there so we never rode more than 30-45 minuets at a time. At the end of the day she did say her butt was getting sore. On the way back home I did the whole thing nonstop (100 miles), when I stopped she said her *** was on fire. She has the mustang passenger seat that matches (or used to match) my seat. My vintage tires have a taller sidewall so Im sure that helps in comfort. Other than that Ive done nothing. I dont think youll need a windshield because YOU will be her windshield.

Instead of trying to make my bike more comfortable for her Im going a different direction.......shes getting her own sporty A 2008 883L for $3500 Shes so excited she cant stand it. And I think overall it will be a better experience each of us in control of our own bike.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran into the same thing when my wife decided she didn't want her own bike, but still wants to ride with me. I upgraded my suspension with Progressive springs in the front and StreetGlide air shocks in the rear. Huge improvement, and I didn't spend much on the setup ($200ish total).

I got a small windshield that detaches without tools... on and off in about 30 seconds. It was cheap, and quality is good, and riding 2 up, she says she can tell on the highway when it's on and prefers riding with it. National Cycle, google it, they have a pretty decent selection, and they are cheap compared to a lot of others. I think mine, the DX was $125 new on Ebay.

Only place I've seen where you can try seats is at the big shows, like the J&P open house, the vendors will set up a display. A local motorcycle dealership might have used bikes with different seats already on them you could try, since most people upgrade their stock seats... if you say you are planning on ordering through them they probably wouldn't care if you sat on them.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone it's gunna be a fun little project and I'm going to do everything I can to keep costs down ... I'll post pics as I progress

Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Mustang wide touring seats, Progressive 412 shocks, HD quick detach windshield.

I've been doing some two up recently and I can't wait until I get new shocks. I'm 220 and she's about 120. That's a lot of weight for the stock shocks. I just need to save up. I've been spending more than I should lately. I guess I'll have to eat ramen noodles for a while.