Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10K Service - Why pay the dealer?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10K Service - Why pay the dealer?!?

So I haven't done any maintenence on my bike since I got suckered buying the first three services from the dealer when I bought my bike new. I couldn't bring myself to pay the dealer $300+ to perform my 10K service. With the help of the service manual, this forum and some youtube videos I just finished it myself and am very satisfied with the results. I had to buy two torque wrenches (inch pounds and foot pounds) and a bike lift to get the job done, but those are just an investment in my bike. I did all the research and watched videos before I got started. I went to the dealer to get replacement gaskets, oil filter and a quart of Formula+ for the transmission.

Here's how it went:

Changing the oil was pretty straightforward. I used a harley oil filter and Mobil 1 20W50 oil. It took about 2.75 quarts to get the oil halfway up the dipstick in order to minimize oil puking out of the breathers. This included the 4 oz that I put in the filter.

I used Harley Formula + in the primary. I filled it through the inspection cover and replaced the gasket and o-rings since they are so cheap. I also replaced the o-ring on the drain plug.

Clutch adjustment was easy as well. I just followed the service manual and she shifts fine. I replaced the quad ring while I had the clutch cover off and used a little grease to hold it in place as recommended on this forum.

The primary chain was also fairly straightforward. I checked it cold and hot just to make sure it was adjusted properly. It needed to be tightened just a bit, but not much.

My rear brake pads were shot, so I replaced them with Lyndall Z-Plus pads. I figured i would replace the front as well since the stock pads suck. This was a very easy job. I did notice that my brake fluid is a little nasty, so i plan on flushing it soon. The difference in these pads and stock is like night and day. The bike stops smoother and does not make as much noise.

Everything else required was just checks and critical fastener torquing. Now that I finished, i realize that I will never pay the dealer to service my bike again. With the help of the forum and the service manual, all of the required tasks were not hard. I am about a 5 out of 10 when in comes to mechanical skills. Having the right tools and taking your time makes this very rewarding. Not only am I saving money, but I got to know my bike a lot better.

Cheers and ride safe!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
LivToRideBlei
Stage II

Agree completely!!! Just did the same as you. I bought my bike with 8000 miles, its a 2008, so I decded at 8500 I would do my "own" 10k service, mainly just the 3 primary fluids. I know the previous own had the 5k done, but that was at least a couple years ago Long story short, ending up doing everything on the 10k listI. got a lift, manuals, a couple special tools and I went to town. Getting to know the bike better was the real PLUS!!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 AM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

As easy as the work is to do, and I wouldn't pay the dealer I would use an independent shop. Doesn't the stamp for the service history/log worth having at a recognised dealer? A full service history goes a long way when selling on.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
MattCo
Tourer

Originally Posted by IamDiabolical
As easy as the work is to do, and I wouldn't pay the dealer I would use an independent shop. Doesn't the stamp for the service history/log worth having at a recognised dealer? A full service history goes a long way when selling on.
Yup! for some buyers the service history is super important (me) i like to have everything on paper so that i can be confident of what i'm putting my money into. I do the same, take it to an independent shop and get it fixed/checked for less money and less time.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasSportster
So I haven't done any maintenence on my bike since I got suckered buying the first three services from the dealer when I bought my bike new. I couldn't bring myself to pay the dealer $300+ to perform my 10K service. With the help of the service manual, this forum and some youtube videos I just finished it myself and am very satisfied with the results. I had to buy two torque wrenches (inch pounds and foot pounds) and a bike lift to get the job done, but those are just an investment in my bike. I did all the research and watched videos before I got started. I went to the dealer to get replacement gaskets, oil filter and a quart of Formula+ for the transmission.

Here's how it went:

Changing the oil was pretty straightforward. I used a harley oil filter and Mobil 1 20W50 oil. It took about 2.75 quarts to get the oil halfway up the dipstick in order to minimize oil puking out of the breathers. This included the 4 oz that I put in the filter.

I used Harley Formula + in the primary. I filled it through the inspection cover and replaced the gasket and o-rings since they are so cheap. I also replaced the o-ring on the drain plug.

Clutch adjustment was easy as well. I just followed the service manual and she shifts fine. I replaced the quad ring while I had the clutch cover off and used a little grease to hold it in place as recommended on this forum.

The primary chain was also fairly straightforward. I checked it cold and hot just to make sure it was adjusted properly. It needed to be tightened just a bit, but not much.

My rear brake pads were shot, so I replaced them with Lyndall Z-Plus pads. I figured i would replace the front as well since the stock pads suck. This was a very easy job. I did notice that my brake fluid is a little nasty, so i plan on flushing it soon. The difference in these pads and stock is like night and day. The bike stops smoother and does not make as much noise.

Everything else required was just checks and critical fastener torquing. Now that I finished, i realize that I will never pay the dealer to service my bike again. With the help of the forum and the service manual, all of the required tasks were not hard. I am about a 5 out of 10 when in comes to mechanical skills. Having the right tools and taking your time makes this very rewarding. Not only am I saving money, but I got to know my bike a lot better.

Cheers and ride safe!
he did good he had the SERVICE MANUAL big plus job well done!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I don't plan on selling my bike, so i'm not worried about the paperwork. If anything, I have more confidence that everything on the list was done properly in addition to just the fluid changes. Plus I enjoy getting to know my bike!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
ArleeD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post! I bought the service manual and am determined to do all or most of the servicing myself.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

$300 for a 10k service? Here it's $429 for Sportsters,and $549 for BT. **** lube is not included with the above prices.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Classicfc
Tourer

Who is this "dealer" you speak of?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats for realizing you do not need the dealer and HD’s secrete sauce to keep your bike running just fine … it aint brain surgery.

Quick Reply: 10K Service - Why pay the dealer?!?