Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mirror adjustment- do you see behind you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a very different perspective on mirrors than most of the responses here so far.

I adjust my mirrors as far to the sides as practical. It's easier to see someone beside you that way and if you ever need to take evasive action seeing what might be beside you is a lot more important than what's behind. I want to know who's beside me with a quick glance. And then just move your head a little to see behind you when necessary. If you are paying attention and check your mirrors regularly you should rarely ever be surprised by someone coming from behind.

And for those convex stick-on mirrors... those things are so distracting to me I would never in a million years install them. In fact, I just bought a truck that had those on it and I had them removed within the first 24 hours of owning the truck.

I adjust the mirrors in my car in a similar fashion. I'll pick an object out in the left and right side of the rear view mirror, then without moving my head, adjust the side view mirrors out as far as possible without losing the same object I see in the rearview mirror from the inside edge of the side view mirror.

Last edited by 2black1s; 06-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 AM
kablaamo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't look forward if you're looking back. But seriously, the below bar mirrors are great.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll chime in.

When I had 12" mini apes the stock mirrors worked over or under.

When I had 14" Nash Grit Hangers I could NOT hang them under but could see perfectly with the mirrors on top, even with the small 3" ers.

Now I have low bars so under works fine (better). Stock would work better than 3".

Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM
ANESTHESIA
Tourer

Can't see a damn thing w the 48 mirrors. Just kept the left on for lane changes. Thinking about looking around amazon or something for like a one inch concave adhesive mirror just to try and catch a glimpse of someone riding my azz

Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
LilMsRida
Intermediate
Default 12 Iron

I really can't see behind me either with the mirrors up top. Should I flip 'em?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

First thing I did was get the long stem mirrors. It was like night and day. Just enough room to get around my shoulders and see behind me. I tried flipping, but they bang a 4.5 gal tank.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I have a very different perspective on mirrors than most of the responses here so far.

I adjust my mirrors as far to the sides as practical. It's easier to see someone beside you that way and if you ever need to take evasive action seeing what might be beside you is a lot more important than what's behind. I want to know who's beside me with a quick glance. And then just move your head a little to see behind you when necessary. If you are paying attention and check your mirrors regularly you should rarely ever be surprised by someone coming from behind.

And for those convex stick-on mirrors... those things are so distracting to me I would never in a million years install them. In fact, I just bought a truck that had those on it and I had them removed within the first 24 hours of owning the truck.

I adjust the mirrors in my car in a similar fashion. I'll pick an object out in the left and right side of the rear view mirror, then without moving my head, adjust the side view mirrors out as far as possible without losing the same object I see in the rearview mirror from the inside edge of the side view mirror.

+1 there's a reason they're called side view mirrors

When I'm driving a cager, I need to crank the mirrors out almost all the way, and then I end up with an uninterrupted panoramic view of everything behind, and beside me. By the time anybody is in front of my side view, they are already in my peripheral vision. My motorcycle mirrors are set almost the same way (minus the rear view, obviously) but I'm still more comfortable cranking my head around to see around me... something drilled into us by the safety instructors.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I used the mirror extensions that Harley Davidson sells and that made it so I could see enough around my shoulders to see a car even if it is 5" off my bumper and directly behind me. Then I use some little adjustable round wide angle mirrors to cover the area from all around me.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM
InsomniaInc
Cruiser

I love the view my flipped mirrors give me. It's a great angle for visibility on my 48.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm considering bigger mirrors so I don't have to move my head all around to change the point of view to see everything behind me in the mirrors.

I use the the left mirror to see anyone directly behind me, which covers the left lane for lane changes too. It gives me a long view down the road behind me too.

It's the right one I've had to adjust to see the right lane better when on a 4 lane roadway or expressways. The right mirror covers the blind spot to the right that I'd have to really turn my head to see, and it gives me a long view behind me.

Mirrors are so important to keep track of what is going on around you, to stay out of trouble. Couldn't tell you how often I have watched the traffic coming up behind me causing me to maneuver out of their way.

Quick Reply: mirror adjustment- do you see behind you?