Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom to Low Speedo Change Guide (with part numbers and photos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM
AjaBra
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Custom to Low Speedo Change Guide (with part numbers and photos)

If mods would be kind enough to sticky this, that'd be great!

So as promised here is a short part list and guide to changing the custom speedo mount to a low style one... follow at your own risk...

Cost: ~$250
Performed on: 2007 EFI XL1200C
Frustration level: Low
Time Required: 3-4 Hours

Part List:

55846-05A - Chrome Speedo Housing

67089-05 - Chrome Speedo Back Cover

67104-95 - Speedo Cushion

67121-95A - Front Speedo Gasket

68813-07 - Wire Harness

68513-95A - Warning Lamp Bezel

56541-86A - L Handlebar Clamp

56542-86A - R Handlebar Clamp

2325 - Screw x2 - For Lamp Bezel
2361 - Screw x2 - For Speedo
3210A - Screw x4 - For Speedo Bracket

Guide:

Start by removing the riser cover. It's just these two torx screws:

With that cover off, loosen the alan screws holding the current speedometer mount on:

I just leaned my bars forward and left everything attached to them.

At this point I unscrewed the two alan screws on the back of the speedo, took the rubber cover off the button, unscrewed the plastic ring from the button (save the ring and the rubber), disconnected everything from it, and set it (along with the new gaskets) in the new housing.

The next step was a little tricky just because I couldn't figure out where the wire harness went to. Luckily I decided to and realized I needed to remove the tank. If you don't know how to remove the tank properly then RTFM or Google it. It was very easy.

So remove the tank and look for the plastic part where all the wires run to:

Note that it is held on by a torx screw! I don't have a picture of that (sorry) but in the next photo you can see the harness connector and the hole where the torx screw screws into circled:

Getting closer:

I had to cut one of the zip ties that held the connector in place but after that it came right out.

Now just route the new harness where the old one was, connect it, zip tie it back, and put the plastic back together. Also worth doing is connecting the speedo to the new harness and making sure all the lights work.

Next thing to do is remove the stock riser. Here you can see one of the bolts that keeps it on. There is one on each side:

I applied a little Loctite the riser bolts and then loosely screwed them into the new risers. (As seen above also)

Attach the bezel to the speedo bracket (making sure it is the correct orientation) and then screw in the lights from the harness (again, making sure it is the correct orientation... it says 'Top' and has an arrow) using the 2325 screws.

Next step is to loosely attach the speedo bracket to the risers and get the risers almost snug. I did this to make sure they wouldn't spin around while I was screwing them in.

After that just replace the handlebars and snug everything up. Then plug in the speedometer, align the button, and screw on the backplate. Replace the plastic ring and rubber cover on the button. Check and make sure everything works.

Once everything is aligned and to you liking go back and tighten the bolts holding the risers on and then the alan screws holding the speedo bracket on.

After all that is done replace the tank/seat.

Before:

After:

Last edited by AjaBra; 04-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AjaBra:
Dheez (11-28-2017), Nailz (06-16-2018)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
jdogisking
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW very detailed! Thanks you VERY MUCH!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Real nice write up.
Why did you need the wiring harness.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
AjaBra
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Why did you need the wiring harness.
The dummy lights for the custom housing and low housing are two different sizes. If you look at the two side by side you can see the bezel for the low is quite a bit longer than the bezel for the custom. The lights are part of the harness... you can kinda see it in the picture of the harness.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

I see. Thanks. After looking at the new and old harnesses, do you think the bulbs could be removed from the "C" bulb housing and placed in a new "L" housing, or are the housings an integral part of the harness?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 AM
AjaBra
Tourer

I see. Thanks. After looking at the new and old harnesses, do you think the bulbs could be removed from the "C" bulb housing and placed in a new "L" housing, or are the housings an integral part of the harness?
Nope. Even the way the bezel mounts is different. The Custom bezel clips in to the speedo housing. The Low bezel requires that the section of the wire harness with the lights is screwed into it. Moreover, they aren't really 'bulbs' either. It's a little circuit board with LEDs on it.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member

Something must have changed in '07. That wire harness has an '07 part #.
I found this pic that compares the C housing to a L housing and there are bulbs.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, but I think my '05 has a different set-up.
From Flatlander's pics
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...-ape-pics.html
Name:  Sportsteridiotlighthousing.jpg
Views: 14334
Size:  59.0 KB

Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM
raq1025
Advanced

I've been following the mod & I have an '05 Custom also. It appears there was no XL1200 low in '05 (just an 883.) But '06 had one with what looks like the same setup are '07. I don't have the part number, but if they are different than '07, that may be a way to go.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM
ivanlsjr65
Advanced

Very nice write up. Can you possibly put up a pic of how it looks now close up?
(how the wiring from the speedo and lights look thru the risers without the "custom" riser hiding the wiring now.)

Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
AjaBra
Tourer

Something must have changed in '07. That wire harness has an '07 part #.
I found this pic that compares the C housing to a L housing and there are bulbs.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, but I think my '05 has a different set-up.
Seems it did change.

You can see they are not bulbs anymore but rather LEDs.

Originally Posted by ivanlsjr65
Very nice write up. Can you possibly put up a pic of how it looks now close up?
(how the wiring from the speedo and lights look thru the risers without the "custom" riser hiding the wiring now.)
Thanks, and sure thing:

Quick Reply: Custom to Low Speedo Change Guide (with part numbers and photos)