Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom to Low Speedo Change Guide (with part numbers and photos)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 PM
cbass68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ajabra, awesome write up on the speedo relocate. Looking to do the same. Question: how did it affect your riding position/comfort...? I have 10" mini apes with stock riser and feel i need a little more forward lean... even with mustang seat and backrest, i feel it in my tailbone after a short ride... thanks for any feedback!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So I discovered Ronnie's Harley Davidson's website and was looking at the factory parts list for the speedo assembly on the 48. I'm hoping the triple trees are the same as the 1200c. If so I'll be swapping out soon. Anyone else looked into this?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Pretty sure the 48 triple clamp is a different layout. The 78 riser/speedo setup fits the Custom triple tree. I have not had the right combination of time & money to do this yet, but here's the part numbers, based on the quote I got from the local H-D service.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Howler_LI
Pretty sure the 48 triple clamp is a different layout. The 78 riser/speedo setup fits the Custom triple tree. I have not had the right combination of time & money to do this yet, but here's the part numbers, based on the quote I got from the local H-D service.

Thanks Howler. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. The 72 speedo sticks out like a sore thumb IMO. I like the profile of the 48 assembly better. Check out Ronnie's. There was a significant savings on almost all parts. Good luck with your conversion. Keep us posted with pics.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Sweede
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was wondering the same

]Im looking at the photos and wondering. Why can't a guy just get risers flip the bracket over and replace the speedo? The speedo/top clamp looks to be just the opposite bolt pattern on my 05 c as it is your photos as far as the bolts pattern on stock being wide set on top skinny on bottom and looks in the pics to be exact opposit in the change over.

Can I just flip the top plate over then flip the indicator lights 180°?

Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

I would like to do this on my Heritage for a tach. I have a 94 RK tack, and am looking for a handlebar mount.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I ordered the new speedo location parts last week. They should be here any day. I encountered the obsolete part # that's been bundled with the other part, but it's a non-issue. I didn't order any wire harness.
Others have made the swap on an '05 with success. Confidence level is extremely high.
i know this is an old post, but wanting to do this to my 05' 1200 custom and just wondering what you found with the wiring harness so I know which parts I can order.

also, I am assuming the handlebar mounts in the original post are the risers. Can those be changed to something different later on, like a taller riser? Are are you stuck using those only with this setup?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Wire harness should not be required for your '05. The snag was the bezel. The old stand-alone bezel, with its individual part #, was terminated. The bezel's part # went obsolete, so it became difficult to get the bezel for the Low-style speedo housing/handlebar clamp (unless you talk to the right person in the Parts Department). Mother Harley then integrated the bezel into a "kit" (or assembly) that contains the bezel. The new assembly part #, that entails the dummy-lights' bezel, can be found here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post16729731
Let us know how it goes for you.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:30 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Wire harness should not be required for your '05. The snag was the bezel. The old stand-alone bezel, with its individual part #, was terminated. The bezel's part # went obsolete, so it became difficult to get the bezel for the Low-style speedo housing/handlebar clamp (unless you talk to the right person in the Parts Department). Mother Harley then integrated the bezel into a "kit" (or assembly) that contains the bezel. The new assembly part #, that entails the dummy-lights' bezel, can be found here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post16729731
Let us know how it goes for you.
thank you for getting back to me! I haven't had a chance to head to the dealer yet, but I checked you link, so please correct me if I am wrong- I can omit the wire harness and replace the original bezel part number that has gone obsolete with the bezel "kit", part number which you mentioned in your thread link above.

is there anything else that I am missing? I just want to be sure that if I order the bezel kit that it won't include any of the other separate parts already mentioned in this thread....not sure how flexible my dealer will be in regards to returning parts.

thanks! The help is much appreciated!

Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 AM
pgilbert689
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice write up and thanks for doing this. I planned on doing the same thing for my winter project.

Quick Reply: Custom to Low Speedo Change Guide (with part numbers and photos)