Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged ECM connector, PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:04 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damaged ECM connector, PLEASE HELP

I have a 2007 Nightster and I relocated the ECM that was under the seat when I pulled the fender off. Well the rear tire rubbed through the gray connector that attaches to the ECM. Does anyone know where I can get this part??? Bike is out of commission till I get this part so please help so I can get back on the road!

Old 05-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Judge1989
Advanced

Can you post a picture of the damage? If its just the plastic you can reshape the connector with plastic weld. This does not mean weld it together. Or if the wires are damaged they shouldn't be difficult to fix. Picture of damage is needed tho.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

I broke mine and just taped the damn thing back together.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

thank you for replying guys. ya its like the actual connectors and wiring that is jacked up. my rear tire got ahold of it and completely yanked it from the ECM. My ECM looks to be ok but this plug is done as far as I know.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Judge1989
Can you post a picture of the damage? If its just the plastic you can reshape the connector with plastic weld. This does not mean weld it together. Or if the wires are damaged they shouldn't be difficult to fix. Picture of damage is needed tho.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

this is the closest thing to it I have found online but I am not even sure this is the right part or how to tell. I dont even know what its called besides a connector

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...EAqbMoaA%3D%3D

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chaddallas
this is the closest thing to it I have found online but I am not even sure this is the right part or how to tell. I dont even know what its called besides a connector

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...EAqbMoaA%3D%3D
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...r-problem.html

Old 05-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Judge1989
Advanced

Looks like the connector comes apart. See if you can open it up. Should be able to find round pin connectors at local parts house. Crimp them on and give it a touch of solder. Place pins with a dab of superglue back into connector. Zip ties and black electrical tape should hold it together. Find a wiring diagram to make sure you get them in the right place. When soldering don't put to much on. Solder creates resistance and may give the ecm false readings. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Judge1989
Looks like the connector comes apart. See if you can open it up. Should be able to find round pin connectors at local parts house. Crimp them on and give it a touch of solder. Place pins with a dab of superglue back into connector. Zip ties and black electrical tape should hold it together. Find a wiring diagram to make sure you get them in the right place. When soldering don't put to much on. Solder creates resistance and may give the ecm false readings. Good luck!

no way of just replacing the whole thing I guess?? If it comes to this I am taking it in cause that is more than I want to do on my own. Not a fan of electrical.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 PM
chaddallas
Cruiser

ya this is where I found the link to the one for sale. his bike is a FXDLI. do they use the same connector?

Quick Reply: Damaged ECM connector, PLEASE HELP