Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No electric PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM
kino44
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wires ign

Ok the green one has juice it was hooked into the L slot the white one no juice hooked to IG slot. red wire no juice was hooked to the B slot. tired touching green to white nothing the green one has juice

Old 05-28-2012, 04:06 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default switch

Originally Posted by cHarley
Is the switch a simple On/Off switch or is it an Off/Accessory/On switch?

Edit: have you traced the green wire and know for fact that it goes to ground?

its a Off/Accessory/On switch I have a dash its a bob tank

Old 05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, your test results indicate that the wiring doesn't follow standard electrical conventions and that's likely the result of the bob tank install.

See if you can follow and figure out where the red and white wires go to.

Did you try touching the green and red wires together?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default ignition wires

Well, your test results indicate that the wiring doesn't follow standard electrical conventions and that's likely the result of the bob tank install.

See if you can follow and figure out where the red and white wires go to.

Did you try touching the green and red wires together?

yes tired them all nothing,the bottom of the ignition plate which is plastic is cracked may be my issue but still dont understand why now I have no power?? green one has juice but other 2 dont RED and WHITE hooked to dash post with nut along with black wires GREEN to post on dash along with with a RED wire coming in from harness

Last edited by kino44; 05-28-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by kino44
yes tired them all nothing,the bottom of the ignition plate which is plastic is cracked may be my issue but still dont understand why now I have no power?? green one has juice but other 2 dont RED and WHITE hooked to dash post with nut along with black wires GREEN to post on dash along with with a RED wire coming in from harness
Sorry, it's hard enough trying to diagnose this without seeing the bike and already knowing that the wiring was kludged by someone else, but without better detail and sentence punctuation I'm lost.

"RED and WHITE hooked to dash post with nut" - They're hooked to the same post?

"along with black wires" - Where did the black wires come from? You only had green, red & white before.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
kino44
Tourer

Sorry, it's hard enough trying to diagnose this without seeing the bike and already knowing that the wiring was kludged by someone else, but without better detail and sentence punctuation I'm lost.

"RED and WHITE hooked to dash post with nut" - They're hooked to the same post?

"along with black wires" - Where did the black wires come from? You only had green, red & white before.

Im sorry not the best typist. yes there about 4 post with wires on them nutted on.

I come to these forums for some input but as always Im smart enough to figure things out

Hope you work through that punctuation thing.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Boston Tom MN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Same mysterious issues, electricals going dead.

I'm experiencing the same issue on my 98 Ultra. Sitting at a light last night with the bike idling, the engine started faltering and all lights started flickering, and then........silence. The engine quit and bike was completely dead. I flipped the ignition on and off a couple of times. The lights came back on, I hit the starter. "Karooom!..Vroom!...putt-putt-putt-putt. Silence". Gone again. This repeated a couple of times until I just left it off until I got the green traffic signal. Quick then I hit the starter, dropped into gear, and got it moving fast............and the problem was gone. Hasn't come back yet, but I am thinking I will be checking the battery connections first. They had the seat off yesterday just prior to all this for an upholstery repair.