Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine and Battery light on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
spalmer1214
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the bike is brand new so I took it to the dealership and they told me that i do not do enough highway driving and that is when the battery charges. To me that sounds like" hey man its friday afternoon and i dont want to work on it."

Is it true that the battery will not charge at low speeds like in town driving?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by spalmer1214
Well the bike is brand new so I took it to the dealership and they told me that i do not do enough highway driving and that is when the battery charges. To me that sounds like" hey man its friday afternoon and i dont want to work on it."

Is it true that the battery will not charge at low speeds like in town driving?
To a degree, that's true.
Sometimes a bike starts easily, like on the first revolution. Other times you have to stay on the starter a bit longer before it fires. The longer you stay on the starter, the more power that gets sucked out of the battery.

The single phase stator in a Sporty doesn't start putting out enough current to actually charge the battery until you're in the 2000 - 2500 RPM range. The charging system's output increases with RPM. The charging system first has to put out enough "juice" to power everything electrical on the bike and only then can it have a surplus of power to charge the battery. During time spent in idling or stopped traffic, the battery will be discharging.

On average, it takes about 20 minutes at "cruise" RPMs to replace (recharge) the power that was sucked out of the battery to start the motor.

If your running a lot of short trips, I recommend keeping the battery on a float charger (Battery Tender) when your not riding it. Do Not use a "trickle charger".

Last edited by cHarley; 05-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Muskrat71 (09-13-2024)
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

BTW, you never posted any voltage readings, do you have a voltmeter?
What voltage do you measure across the battery terminals with the bike running at a FAST idle?

If you can't perform that simple test, I guess you're going to have to take the dealers word for whether or not you have a problem.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 PM
spalmer1214
Intermediate

The bike is at the dealership right now and they are checking everything out. Its still under warranty so i am going to use it while i have it.

Everything you said makes perfect sense. They just didn't break it down like that for me. I appriciate all your help and explaining everything. I guess i will have to go and get a battery tender.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spalmer1214
Just called the dealership and i guess this is a common problem right now. It sucks because the parts that they think are bad are on back order for a week. This sucks, but at least its covered under warranty.
Same problem here for me too. Brand new bike and mine started giving me low voltage signs on my way home this evening. I'll check my battery cables, etc tomorrow.

Sprinklerguy (09-05-2021)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 PM
spalmer1214
Intermediate

Mine ended up being a voltage regulator. The stealership replaced it because it is under warranty.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 PM
AWelshHooligan
Advanced

Guy's there is a service bulletin that just went out last week.......Voltage regulator's are bad in 2012 bikes........6 months plus worth of production had bad ones in them out of the factory.......New " fixed " replacement models are starting to be shipped to dealerships in very small quantities........on 6/18, Mine is getting replaced on the 20th........I call this a recall, but no factory Harley person will........just get in line, early bird gets the worm

Old 10-13-2019, 04:19 PM
rafa005006
Stage II
Default My bike is a fxd 2009

Originally Posted by Harryinny
Seriousely check the Ground stud on the back top of the engine houseing right below the batt. Mine was 2 turns loose, took 2 trips to the dealer(the said bike was fine both times, said the rode the bike for awhile, YAH RIGHT! They would have felt and heard what i did. Took me 3 hours of research and made sure all plugs were secure and checked statoe ohms and regolator voltage and then i tightened the Negative, Bike runs LIKE NEW! Screw you Stealership! Unreal.

what year bike was yours I’ve been at this issue for a month now

Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,204 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by rafa005006
what year bike was yours I’ve been at this issue for a month now
You realize this is a 7 year old thread?

Old 05-22-2021, 03:18 PM
vaca loca
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Its a 15 year old thread now!

Originally Posted by VAFish
You realize this is a 7 year old thread?
So who cares. This message board is for folks of like mind to share information and ideas. I also have a 2009 Dyna, it went through the exact same issue. Not only was my voltage regulator a bad one that replaced the original, it was replaced for free. The dude is was just trying to fix his bike. If it bugs anyone that one would respond to an existing thread rather then get told to use the search function and sift through a bunch of retarded comments about thread age or butt hurt over a disagreement on any given topic. Why not just answer the question or don't? whichever, just stop crying about it. I thought this was all big tough 000.1 outlaw sons of anarchy bad *** bikers, not internet volunteer time cop mods.

That said, here is what I did when my lights came on, I did my standard pre trip check, then went a little deeper. Took off the battery box, followed the battery cables all the way down, found a nick in the positive wire, replaces it, bike ran awesome. Lights still came on. I had a mechanic trade me services, I built his work stall, he made sure the bike was good. So he changed the oil, and tested everything. It was the voltage regulator, he replaced it. The absolute best information that came out of the parts of this thread I read was the advice to get a tester, and know how to use it. Ill add that I had to learn to check the nuts bolts and screws quite a bit. Stuff gets loose on motorcycles.

GotMak (06-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Check Engine and Battery light on.