Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

death wobble/tank slapper/speed wobble - very dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It certainly could be mechanical or, as mentioned, it could be how you are positioning yourself on the bike. I can induce some fairly severe wobble between 90-100mph by tucking my head down and leaning over the tank to get out of the wind blast. As soon as I sit back up, wobble is gone.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:30 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
If your new helmet is causing more noise, then yes it could be the cause. Noise is a much greater problem than is widely recognised and causes tension. That in turn makes us grip the bars tighter and can cause steering problems. Try wearing ear plugs to protect your hearing and if the problem goes away, you know that is the cause.
The new helmet is way louder(it's a half & other is FF) but I was wearing ear pugs. Also, mine started @ a very safe 72-73 MPH. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM
TexFF
Road Master

Just went to see if my new helmet is the problem because the bike checked out good. Well, it definitely makes it worse! I went back & forth on the same 5 miles stretch of highway. W/the helmet on, it did the 'wobble' 8 out of 10 tries. W/out the helmet it did it 2 out of 10 tries but I had to be going faster w/out the helmet to make it happen. W/out the helmet I noticed this: the wind would be a constant 'whooooooooooooooo'. Then I'd speed up, the wind sound would change to a wawawawawawa(buffeting sound) THEN it would start to wobble. I have a '11 48 w/14" apes & no windshield.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cause of mine was spokes. Little adjustment went a long way.

The following users liked this post:
MoBillyAla (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Gobengo2011
1st Gear

Originally Posted by thoner7
for the past few weeks I have been noticing a very slight wobble back and forth on the front tire when I hit 75+ on the highway, almost like driving over a steel deck bridge. Its not bad and I thought something was loose so I checked all the bolts too see if something rattled loose and nothing. So I thought it was just in my head but....

I just drove home like crazy getting up to 90. When I got up to 85-90 it turned into an extremely dangerous wobble, if it could still even be considered just a wobble. I assume this is the dreaded 'death wobble' that I had heard about?

I instantly slowed down bc the thing was going to buck me off it if I kept on it. Once I got down to 80 it was fine again. I took it up to 90 just to see if I could figure out what it was or if I could keep it straight with no luck. It litterally would have shaken itself untill it tipped over.

I don't plan on going 90 anytime soon but is there a problem with the wobble at slower speeds, is there anything I can do to try and make it less severe? Is there some alignment issue I'm missing or could it be something like tire pressure? Thanks.

Similiar to what I had happen, skip the first 1:00: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAnjj...eature=related
This is an old post but something i noticed on my sporster is that a high speed wobble can be rider induced. Wind buffeting on your shoulders causes minute input to the bars, thus a wobble. My commute to work is about 20 miles at 80mph on the highway. If I set my throttle lock and lean back and grab the tank and let go of my bars, it is rock steady. As soon as i get back on the bars and brace against the wind.... weeble wobble. Try it if youre comfortable not holding the bars. The bike might be fine and it might be the rider instead.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 693 Likes on 453 Posts

I've got a windshield so I don't feel the need to hold onto the bars that tight. Never a wobble.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

What kind of jacket are you wearing ? Sometimes a bulky or ill fitting jacket can contribute to a rider induced speed wobble . That said , I wear a sheepskin flying jacket a lot of the time and my Sportster is rock steady at all speeds .

Old 06-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Gobengo2011
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midpegs
What kind of jacket are you wearing ? Sometimes a bulky or ill fitting jacket can contribute to a rider induced speed wobble . That said , I wear a sheepskin flying jacket a lot of the time and my Sportster is rock steady at all speeds .
I had more issues prior to getting a windsheild. Once the windshield was installed i had zero issues except on pavement snakes and grooves but those wobvles usually solve themselves.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobengo2011
I had more issues prior to getting a windsheild. Once the windshield was installed i had zero issues except on pavement snakes and grooves but those wobvles usually solve themselves.
Same here with grooves but what can you expect with such a skinny front wheel ? ( 2004 XL R ) I would imagine that more modern Sportsters with their fatter tyres wouldn't do this so much .

Old 06-26-2019, 12:52 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
Same here with grooves but what can you expect with such a skinny front wheel ? ( 2004 XL R ) I would imagine that more modern Sportsters with their fatter tyres wouldn't do this so much .
Your front wheel isn't that skinny. It can take a 110/90-19 tire (or tyre) on it. I have one on my 19-inch front.

Quick Reply: death wobble/tank slapper/speed wobble - very dangerous