Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So-Cal ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM
DamanC7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So-Cal ride

Any of you sportsters going on the 66th annual Greenhorn ride that leaves from Pasadena? This is from the website:

Aiming your motorcycle down the endless freeway from dusk til dawn is tiresome! As a contrast, imagine our carefully planned route -all day on scenic, curving, back roads and canyons, over cascading mountains, gliding through national parks, vast cattle ranches and pastures, not seeing another vehicle for many miles, THAT'S not hard work for you or your bike, it's pure enjoyment and for some total relaxation. And believe me, the time flies by. Less-traveled country roads help me pretend to observe California through the eyes of a rider 60 years ago. I'm talking about an appreciation of rider-land relationship and it's natural complexities. It's not about a destination this weekend. It's a tour, however challenging, but hardly a task.
Traditionally, the club wont release much info about our rides, full details remain secret until the morning of the event when you sign in and get your easy-to-follow route sheet. I always use blue painters tape and attach it to my tank.
Expect 5 check points along the way and plenty of fuel stops. You'll arrive at a hotel with safe parking where you'll check in, relax, talk and laugh with the other riders, enjoy dinner.

Hotel Info: Best Western Yosemite Way Station - end of day one. 4999 State Hwy 140, Mariposa, CA , (209) 966-7545
Pasadena MC reserved about fifty $200 rooms for $130ea. I'm told they're all sold out for May 19. Feel free to call and double check.
Next call the nearby YOSEMITE INN (209)742-6800. Same owners, regular rate $130.
Option #3, start asking others if they'll split a room with you for $65 each (plus tax).

Back to the good stuff: You'll be home safe before the end of day two. You can slab it (on the fwy), maybe get back to LA by 2pm, or opt for our Day 2 scenic route sheet and get home about 6 or 7, which allows plenty of time for food and fuel stops.
You'll put over 700 miles on your bike; 400+ on day one and then day two offers 280mi or 370mi. Look forward to heavenly roads up there, shockingly beautiful, and new to most everyone.
We've ridden with people on past GREENHORNs who had never gone on a long ride. Some check in with little more than a stripped down bike and a backpack. We get seasoned veterans on touring models who ride the horn every year and talk about their fathers and grandfathers doing the same. Everyone loves it and becomes addicted.
All you really need is to book a room, money for food and fuel, and an extra layer of gear for the colder parts of the ride. Remember, there are 3 check-points between the start and finish of day one, a total of 5 manned check-in stations of our people that will be looking for you, keeping track of your progress, and helping you with any route questions. Those stations are timed and will be open for approx 3hrs each, relative to the average ride times that are predetermined.

Mark your calendar and make this a priority. The Horn is a significant part of motorcycling history. 66 years in a row now. Try it this year. Call now and get signed up.

http://www.meetup.com/CaliforniaMoto...ents/46922442/