Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed tank lift/reloc and bike wont start..... Advice is appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012 | 02:32 PM
ArleeD
|
Cruiser
Default Installed tank lift/reloc and bike wont start..... Advice is appreciated

So spent the better half of the day installing the above mentioned mods.... I thought it came out looking great and then I went for the start up....

The headlight no longer goes on when I turn the key to the accessory..... However, the speedo and license plate light does....

The bike turns over, but does not start.....

I'm clueless as to what it could be.... And bent that I have to take off all the tape and start all friggin over....

If anyone has an idea on what it could be or see a relation between the two problems..... Advice would be much appreciated...

Old 05-14-2012 | 02:42 PM
Twiste
Cruiser

Might be a crimped wire some where. Check all the area's where you did work and make sure a wire didn't get caught between a bolt or connection. Also you might want to post year and model for the guru's that will be able to help with the full info. Check your fuse's too. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012 | 02:46 PM
ArleeD
|
Cruiser

Yeah Thanks, I'm getting that feeling it is a pinched wire somewhere....... Just not looking forward to pulling all back apart after the hours put in...

Its an 09 nightster....

Old 05-14-2012 | 03:03 PM
ceekay
Cruiser

Check your petcock? Is the gas valve "On?" And is there gas in the tank? Sorry, but doing IT has taught me to check even the silliest of oversights first... PC won't start? Is it plugged in? No? Well, computers don't like to run without some form of electricity... And I've had people who've built their own high-end gaming systems for the past DECADE bring computers to me with everything from disconnected components to expansion cards and RAM sticks not being fully seated...

Also: pull a plug and check for spark... Easier than pulling it all apart to hunt for a loose wire, if that's not the problem. Also also, if you got a Digital MultiMeter, switch to the circuit tester with the tone (should be an icon that sorta looks like a volume icon for your computer), and go wire by wire on each side until you find the bad wire/connection. MUCH easier than unwrapping all the wiring...

As for headlight: How's the filament look? If it looks good, check the fuse. May have popped one or the other due to all the new wiring, or during mod if you didn't disconnect the batt and/or got a wire crossed/grounded... Not sure how the newer Sporties are wired, but with mine the headlight and taillight are on the same fuse. May be different for your newer pony....

KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid! (Sage advice from the WW2 era USGI's and repairmen)...

- CK

Last edited by ceekay; 05-14-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2012 | 03:22 PM
ArleeD
|
Cruiser

Well I'll be damned.... The Petcock wasn't in all the way... She fired right up... MANY THANKS CK!! And sound advice from someone who you know has a lot of genuine experience!! Thanks again...

My accessory lights (Headlight/turn signals) are still not working when in the "ACC" key position.... This is prob a pinched wire issue.... weird because the speedo light and license plate light DOES work when in this position and EVERYTHING works fine when the key position is in the "Iginition" position....

Old 05-14-2012 | 05:22 PM
ceekay
Cruiser

tbh, I've no idea why Sporties have an 'acc' position... It's not like we're gonna stop and listen to the radio! Plus, pretty much everything else works and draws power in 'Ign' mode the same anyways...

YW, and remember to check the easiest **** first.

Btw, relaying my own derp moment: Had a 4-banger car, was running like one of the cylinders wasn't firing right... Bought a new (used, but new in car) computer due to suggestions from forum members that told me this was most likely course of action; used, cheap... Put it in, same problem... Later, I was messing with something (forget what) and found one of the plug wires was too floppy to pass the smell-test...... Tried pulling it, and found out the #2 spark plug was broken and arcing (giving me some normalcy, but once it flopped again it would break connection, giving me knocking and chugging and zero power). I felt like a total dumbass.

- CK

Old 05-14-2012 | 05:58 PM
Dissent89
Novice

I have the same problem with my ACC position, haven't looked too much into it tell now. I think I'll take a look at my wires.

Old 05-14-2012 | 06:10 PM
ArleeD
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ceekay
tbh, I've no idea why Sporties have an 'acc' position... It's not like we're gonna stop and listen to the radio! Plus, pretty much everything else works and draws power in 'Ign' mode the same anyways...

- CK
I agree, no rhyme or reason to the ACC position..... The bike runs, so, I might not worry about it for now.... I used that F4 Self Adhesing Silicone tape to wrap my wire tuck.... Holy Crap that stuff is awesome!! It also costs $14 bucks a roll, so don't feel like ripping it all off just yet....

K.I.S.S. is def the acronym to live by.... haha

Dissent, if you figure it out, post it up... I'll try to do the same when I rip it all off again...

Old 05-15-2012 | 01:40 PM
Dissent89
Novice

And now today my speedo quit registering, it had power but wouldn't register speed.

Old 05-15-2012 | 06:01 PM
ArleeD
|
Cruiser

That sux.... So now your speedo won't register, but, it did before??

I haven't been able to go out for a test ride yet... .Its been raining here in the Northeast for a couple days.... tbd....

Quick Reply: Installed tank lift/reloc and bike wont start..... Advice is appreciated