Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large object in oil tank $HIT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitechluddite
Thanks for all the great ideas and thoughts put into this guys! MacGyver is in da house! lol I took an approach similiar to what some others suggested.

1. it doesn't float.
2. It's not magnetic.
3. It's coverd in oil and sticky.

Not much you can do about the first 2 but the 3rd problem was somewhat solved by filling the oil tank with gas and sloshing it around some then draining. WA-LA there it sits all nice and shiny! the small hose on a shop Vac did the rest. I'll change the oil out early this time just to play it safe but lesson learned. GET RID OF THAT NASTY A$$ED FOIL BEFORE YOU POUR YOUR OIL!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
AlexWS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GET RID OF THAT NASTY A$$ED FOIL BEFORE YOU POUR YOUR OIL!!!

Rhyming lessons are the best.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex, that's what I thought when I typed it!

Charley, you still rackin up miles on your sporty?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I've never heard of anyone not removing the foil all the way before poring. A leason well learnt eh.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Same thing happened to me last year,I never do oil changes myself but that day I checked my Ultra's oil level as since a little was needed decided to top up but as I was pouring the oil in the hole I saw that little foil seal falling in it.To make a long story short, the dealer had to send his truck to get the bike,remove the oil pan, retrieve the little bastard and in the end I was a few hundreds of $$ poorer.Lesson learned,now I just ride the bike,wash the bike,polish the bike!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkelley
I would keep fishing for it and use one of those little grabbers with the three wire jaws and a push button on the end you can get cheap at Harbor Freight...
I agree with jkelley. The grabbers are pretty good for fishing little things out of tight spots. And a cheaper solution to the camera idea is a mechanic's mirror. You should be able to get one on a flex arm; they look like big dentist's mirrors. I can't tell you how many times I had to use both the mirror and the fingers to fish bolts, screws and/or washers out of places my hands couldn't go when I fixed jets in the Air Force.

Hope you succeed without having to pay.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marion
How about a magnet? Its foil, right, could pick it up that way...
Aluminium foil is non metallic so a magnet wouldn't do it.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the great ideas and thoughts put into this guys! MacGyver is in da house! lol I took an approach similiar to what some others suggested.

1. it doesn't float.
2. It's not magnetic.
3. It's coverd in oil and sticky.

Not much you can do about the first 2 but the 3rd problem was somewhat solved by filling the oil tank with gas and sloshing it around some then draining. WA-LA there it sits all nice and shiny! the small hose on a shop Vac did the rest. I'll change the oil out early this time just to play it safe but lesson learned. GET RID OF THAT NASTY A$$ED FOIL BEFORE YOU POUR YOUR OIL!!!
That made me think....I know it will probably be ok as it's sealed against water but. Fill the tank with gas and then suck it out with an electrical tool? All the fuel vapours around the motor of the vac would make me nervous. If things go wrong you end up loosing your bike in a massive ball of flames. And maybe more than just the bike.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is here for future searches to help folks out and that's what it's all about!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
ANESTHESIA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go on Ebay or on the net and order Mcgill Forceps. We use them at times in the operating room to grab something down someones throat. Or, guide an endotracheal tube down into your trachea during a nasal intubation. Scissor-like handle and LONG skinny forcep ends so you can reach far down into something with long reach into something narrow. They'd probably work perfectly...I added a pic in next reply

Last edited by ANESTHESIA; 05-12-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Large object in oil tank $HIT!!!!