Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Sporty in the Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Ironman 883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I curry a neo face mask in my saddle just incase i hit rain. its much less distracting when the **** isnt cutting up your face.

put on the shades, zipper up the jacket, and keep the boots up, and its actually enjoyable. EXCEPT for the face cages like to completely forget the rules of the road when it rains. something tells them hey, its raining, dont look both ways

Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
ceekay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kontiki
Just take your turns a little easier and avoid the oil spots in the center of the road. :O
Actually, about an hour into a good rain, most of the oil washes off the center hump and into the tire tracks/off the road, depending on how the road is made/worn. If it's been raining a while, take the high ground to avoid hydroplaning.

Also, the book, tests, and safety course all tell us to ride in existing car tire tracks, as most of the water/oil/etc has been pushed off of that area by the thousands of pounds of car pressing down on four tire footprints not much larger than your own human footprint; i.e. water is gonna be displaced hardcore; hence why a car can "spray" such a thin layer of water (less than 1/4" buildup leaves most cars surrounded by a good mist, up at least to the windows or 3ft abouts)... This is why you want to ride in the tire tracks; because there will be very little water there!!

I say: Tough it out. If you got leathers, wear them. If you got a full-face helmet you'll want that too. If you got the full-face and rain gear, you're GOLDEN. Otherwise, the ride home is gonna suck.... However, for your first few times, you're gonna come home soaked to the bone and grinning from ear to ear.

Also, rain HURTS at speed, especially at highway speed!! It's like riding through a dust storm, only the dust is gravel. Cover your face really well...

(But then again, it's probably far too late for my advice to help you now....)

- CK

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Glad you made it home GW.

I have too many thousands of miles in the rain to count.

There's a lot of little things to do different to ride safely in the rain, but it mostly comes down to leaving a MUCH LARGER cushion around you for braking and evasive action, realizing that your traction is greatly reduced, so take everything a bit slower and easier.

I ride regularly in the rain and wind...mostly I avoid riding thru lighting storms.

Rain when it is hot is sometimes very welcome!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GWinkleman
I have the Michelin scorcher tires.
I have the same tires on my 1200 C, and those last 15 days, it seems I'm followed by those dark clouds pouring rain all over me, constantly.

No grip problems with the Scorchers till now, just be aware that the braking distance might be different on wet roads, and take your twisties calmly.

BTW, wear a fluo jacket, there are a lot of cagers around you who are too busy to keep them on track to be able to see you like they should do...

just my 02 cents

Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Got caught in a bit of rain on the way home last night (10% chance of rain). Big 'ol fenders and windshield (it was cold) and I was like meh. On my way home so I wasn't worried about showing up to work wet as a rat.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Ive had years of riding in all weathers from ice , snow and gales to very heavy rain sometimes on very long journeys , and to be honest , its **** , theres no other word for it , but i wouldn't leave my bike behind because of it ,

Ive done 20+ miles in snow (not on a Harley ) and that was a little unsettling to say the least , and black iced roads in -13 winter conditions at 3am in the morning a few times as well , but my absolute hate is heavy rain at night on badly lite country roads ,
Ive done it loads of times so i am very used to it , but I'm just begining to find it hard work , i rode 30 miles in thick fog at night a few months back and even that seemed easier ,
i think Ive developed a bit of night blindness which seems to have made things worse lately ( or **** Harley headlights ), but i would still get my bike home , just slower than i used to .

saying that though ,
i would have to think long and hard about riding my fat bob in the snow , i reckon that may get my freckle twitching a bit too much now days
ride safe

Last edited by MADDOG187; 05-10-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 AM
IBGary
Road Captain

My 1st Iron Butt ride was caused by rain. I was riding in Utah in mid summer. I saw it was raining to the south so I decided to cross Monument Valley in the rain to avoid the heat. The rain continues to Flagstaff, where I had planned to camp. I decided to keep going until I was out of the rain and then camp. When I got to Prescott it was still raining. It didn't stop until I was near the California border. I decided to just head for home near Palm Springs. Just over 1000miles in about 20 hrs. About 1/2 in the rain.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM
nes3058
Stage IV

I ride in the rain all the time it is a matter of using both brakes evenly and give yourself distance. i have also downslide because of simple gravel and dirt on a corner washed in from the rain so take it easy as with everything to do with riding the more you practice the better you get. If you don't feel right at any point stop get it together then start again. Wait a few minutes after it starts raining i don't know about most but there is usually a little gas build up in the city roads are a little slick. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM
roundy
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Reading this thread from an Englishman's point of view I had to chuckle! :-D But, seriously, if it's your first time riding in the rain just go steady, and don't be tense as it makes things worse - just relax...

Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't ride in the rain around here, you don't ride much! I have done 2 weeks almost solid rain. Very yucky. 15 miles you will get soaked but you won't melt. Just be careful especially in heavy traffic. I have dunlops on my bike. I had metzler before. Both are great IMHO

Quick Reply: Riding a Sporty in the Rain?