Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Apes- Dealer quotes $788

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by DravenGSX
It is a tedious job, but not complex. It took me a very long time and was frustrating, but it's doable. At 10", I'm confident that you will need clutch, brake and wiring extensions.
I ran 17" apes on my sporty with the stock clutch cable. Just route the cable over the forwards instead of below it in a big loop.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
IVthCrusade
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome feedback guys, thank you

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
DravenGSX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I ran 17" apes on my sporty with the stock clutch cable. Just route the cable over the forwards instead of below it in a big loop.
In that case, there's absolutely no reason not to do it yourself!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

holy sheet.....almost 800 to get bars mounted? wtf is wrong with this world?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IVthCrusade
That is, if $788 actually is absurd. I don't know, maybe it's reasonable? But the bars are only $70 apparently, and I can't fathom how the rest escalates the cost over 10x.

Any help would be appreciated
I know the cost sounds crazy....did to me when I first heard that outragous number. The cost escalates quickly because they are most likely replacing the throttle, idle and brake line at ~$100 each, the cost of the bars ~$70, extend wires ($?) and prolly 4-5 hours of labor (~$75/hour).

In the end I learned to do it myself...time consuming but glad I chose the route I did.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
IVthCrusade
Advanced

Awesome. So wire kit from NAMZ, brakeline from J&P, new bars, and sportster manual should do the trick?

DK- can you post a photo of how you ran your clutch cable?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
IronFox102
Intermediate

My bike came with drag bars, and i now have a set of generic honda 12" apes on there. My clutch cable was long enough once i got it out of its native clamp. My electricals were way too short so i went out and got some speaker wire in the same gauge as the harley wires (i forget the number off-hand, but copper is copper). Hand spliced and extended all the electricals, heat-shrink wrapped them, done, wires & wrap cost $15. I ordered a new brake cable that was 10" longer than stock; that cost $62 shipped. The bars themselves i got for $25 because the local honda dealer went belly-up.

It took me all of about 2 hours to completely do the swap. Even if i charged $80 an hour in labor to myself, a know-nothing snot-nosed punk off the street with no mechanical training what so ever, why would it take a real harley dealer 10x longer to do it? Even an internal wiring job would only take an extra 45 minutes or so, been there done that.

Seeing the OP's quote makes me more weary of stealerships. :yikes:

Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced

Damn. I'd love to do it myself, I just haven't touched controls before so I'm iffy. I think the minis are 10".
According to what I have read on here you shouldn't have to change anything with 10" apes on a nightster.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
DravenGSX
Cruiser

You are, undoubtedly more mechanically inclined than you let on. Running the wiring through the bars took nearly 2 hours for me with the help of two buddies.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
IVthCrusade
Advanced

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The Sportster manual will give you the step by step on replacing the bars & the brakeline.

You will also need a longer brakeline and I think longer electrical wires. The wire kit can be had from NAMZ, the brakeline from J&P.

The throttle cables are long enough, and if you need to, you can route the clutch cable over your forward controls instead of below them.

It is pretty straightforward if you follow the steps in the manual and that come with the NAMZ wire extension kit.

Parts, including the mini apes should come in below $300 and then you save the other $400+ by doing it yourself.
And which manuals should I buy for this? My bike didn't come with any because the previous owner "couldn't find them", so should I be buying the service, owner's, or electrical diagnostic?

Quick Reply: Mini Apes- Dealer quotes $788