Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Clutch - Anyone out there have one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
samm3d
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Clutch - Anyone out there have one?

Hello, I am interested in buying an 883 sportster. I am disabled so I need to get an auto clutch for the bike. There are several ones out there. Has anyone here ever done this? I wanted to see what issues you may have had, or like/dislike the clutch?

I currently am riding an 1983 hondamatic (CM450A). I want something with more power.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
SC-JG
Intermediate

I am assuming that your left hand is somehow disabled and this is why you can't pull in the clutch on any bike.

I don't have any experience with any automatic clutch gizmos, but you are looking at $700 to $1,000 for just the parts plus any labor to install. There are two wheeled vehicles sold today that come off the showroom floor that don't require any shifting and they will have more power than your CM450A. Honda has the Silver Wing, and Suzuki has the Burgman 450 and 650. They ain't no Harley, but they would accommodate your handicap and give you more power than what you are riding now.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
samm3d
Stage III

Yes, I have limited abilities with my left hand and some on my right hand. I am also fairly short (5'1").

My mechanic has also mentioned the option of a scooter. However, its a scooter. I don't want a scooter. Scooters are like fat chicks, they're fun to ride but you don't want anybody seeing you do it.

I would much prefer the motorcycle route. My ultimate idea of a bike I ant is a sport bike. But they don't make what I need nor do they make the modifications to fix it they way I need.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
SC-JG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samm3d
Yes, I have limited abilities with my left hand and some on my right hand. I am also fairly short (5'1").

My mechanic has also mentioned the option of a scooter. However, its a scooter. I don't want a scooter. Scooters are like fat chicks, they're fun to ride but you don't want anybody seeing you do it.

I would much prefer the motorcycle route. My ultimate idea of a bike I want is a sport bike. But they don't make what I need nor do they make the modifications to fix it they way I need.
Gee, sounds like you've got alot to overcome trying to ride a motorcycle. Personally, I'd ride what worked for me and f___ what anyone else thought.

It has an extra wheel, and like the scooters ain't no Harley, but the Can-Am spyder has a semi automatic set-up, and it's more like a sport bike (since that is what you prefer).

Maybe somebody with first hand experience with the auto clutches for the sportster will be able to tell you what you need to know.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 PM
SC-JG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samm3d
Yes, I have limited abilities with my left hand and some on my right hand.
Um....ya know what, even on a scooter, you need to be able to pull in a lever on the left side . It doesn't have a clutch on the left, but the front brake lever is over there instead.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Joebotics on here has one on his 883 Iron and I do know it cost alot! There is a bike company that has auto only bikes called Riddly and they are not bad looking, but very pricy.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
SC-JG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Joebotics on here has one on his 883 Iron and I do know it cost alot! There is a bike company that has auto only bikes called Riddly and they are not bad looking, but very pricy.
http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/index.htm

$5k to $26K on cycletrader.com

Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
samm3d
Stage III

That is another thing, I do need to have a right foot brake. My brakes now are linked along with a right hand brake.

I am also well aware of ALL automatic bikes:
Aprilia Mana, 250cc legacy, honda's new 700x, VFR1200, Ridleys, older hondamatics, Moto Guzzi convert 1100, & can am spyders.

Because of my height, most of these won't work. They will have to be lowered so much that there will be nothing left in the suspension.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 PM
coobies5
Advanced

I have no clue about cruisers or sport bikes, but on my honda crf450r dirtbike it had the rekluse auto clutch and it was awesome!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Rekluse auto clutch in my wifes bike because she couldn't hold the clutch in at stop lights. Rekluse doesn't build the Sportster clutch anymore. If you can find a used one they do work very well, they completely disengage as the RPM's drop back to idle and if you use a Power Clutch with it, it is extremely easy to shift through the gears.

Quick Reply: Auto Clutch - Anyone out there have one?