Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 to 1250 conversion day 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 AM
streetbobjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 883 to 1250 conversion day 3

good again. cant wait for the start up. make sure you get your cylinders in the dishwasher to give them a real good clean to get any abrasives off the cylinders. also clean the rings well.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 AM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

olesalt..Thanks for the tips. I had NRHS install the rings, set the gap (I know i would have messed this part up. I know me and I would have gotten grind happy), insert 1 circlip and install piston into jug. It cost $75 so for me it was worth it. I will refer back to your post when I go to install them on the bike. How much of a racket are we talking about here. Good thing you said something because i would have shut down the bike immediatly and wondered what I did wrong. I figure for the start up I will turn it over a few times without the plugs to get the carb bowl to fill up and make sure there are no unnecessary noises.

Doehard and diablo666...Thanks for the info... couldnt sleep so I went outside and gave it a try. Flanged end went in first (fat opening).

Harvey Mushroom....I just figured that if I was going to do this I wanted to put the biggest size on it because this will be the only upgrade the motor will get. Its the wifes bike so for her she should have plenty of power to spare. I was told that the jugs(color) will match up with the rest of the bike. At first the wife wanted to go with the black and highlighted fins. Talked to Dan at NRHS and he said it wouldnt look right at all and the silver would match up. When they come in I will take (post)a pic of the jugs side by side so we can see if there is any color difference.

tatkin...

When it comes time for the startup I will try to post a vid of it. Camera takes 30 sec videos so that should be more than enough time.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: olesalt

Can't help you with the jet...I forgot which end is first. BTW, just a reminder...got Assembly Lube ??? the wrist pins get a dose and I coated the cylinder innards with 20-50 before inserting the pistons on the bench. You'll put one of the circlips on the wrist pin on the bench (easy). The other is a tad difficult. If your wife can hold the jug in place while you slip the wrist pin through, the start the second circlip inserting one end in the groove, work it around until the other end is inside, then push it all into the groove. Make sure the clip is in the gtoove. I tapped all the way around with a screwdriver and light hammer.
If you didn't need all this...please ignore. Another thing...when you finally start it up the pushrods and valve train are goin to make one hellacious racket until the lifters pump up. It may take about a 10-20 minute ride at breakin speed.

Olesalt
I wasn't EXACTLY sure what Olesalt was talking about!!

All that talk about getting "the wife to hold the jugs, slipping in pins, inserting one end in the groove, pushrods"..etc etc....

Are we still talking about rebuilding a motorcycle engine here???

[sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's going to be a lot of lifter-pushrod-rocker noise until the hydraulic lifters pump up. It startled me because I wasn't ready for it and shut that sucker down fast. I took the rocker box covers off and restarted. Everything was running ok, just noisy as hell. Put the rocker box covers back on, checked the oil for the thousandth time and went for a ride. The lifters pumped up after about 10-15 min and things quieted down. One word of caution when you test drive it........HANG ON !!!!!!!!!. The power gain is amazing. I just crossed the 300 mile breakin and am going to really punch it on my next ride. The V&H pipes, with quiet baffles, realy roar when ya rol the throttle.