Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership concern...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 AM
J3r3myC0x
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership concern...

OK, first off I'm putting this in the Sportster forum because the bike I purchased was a 2008 Nightster and I didn't really see any other place to get info/advice/comments on dealerships.

Now having said that let me explain my frustrations... I purchased this bike on March 20, 2012 and the Finance Manager allowed me to include the taxes and other extras ($800.00 in parts and $600.00 in clothing/helmets and another $200.00 store credit) into the loan. They also gave me the in-transit plate (good until April 20, 2012) with all my purchase and loan paperwork. I was told that the title and tax check would come in the mail in 3 weeks, so I had one extra week to get into the DMV to register the bike. But that's not what ended up happening.

Over the course of a week before April 20th, I called them to check on the title and taxes and was told multiple times that they were still waiting to get it from the previous owner's registered State.
On April 20th, I had to beg them to create a new sale agreement (to include a new 30 day in transit plate) so that my bike wouldn't just be a garage decoration and I could ride it. I must say though that on this part, they pulled through and delivered the paperwork to my house that evening, even brought a check for the taxes (no title though), but later found out the check amount was wrong. The Finance Manager told me that the title would be there in roughly a week and to call them to check. So finally on April 30th after calling for the 4th time, they tell me that the title is in the office and that I can either wait a few days for snail mail or I could come get it. I chose the later. Then I get to the DMV and I ended up paying more for the taxes out of my pocket and come to find out that the taxes check they issued to me wasn't even the same amount that they rolled into my loan. So I called them on it and they admitted there had been a mistake and they would mail me another check for the difference. In the end, I finally have registered the bike and have my own plates. I feel that this H-D Dealership in particular has made this experience more painful than necessary. Any comments on similar experiences?

Oh and to further complicate matters, with that $200.00 store credit thing they did for me, that amount was also rolled into my loan and I just paid axes on that whole purchase amount to the DMV and over the course of the last 6 weeks I purchased parts and clothing from them using that store credit and each time they charged me sales tax again! Would anyone else be a little ticked off at this?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,069 Likes on 2,504 Posts

Out the MFers

Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

inform corporate Harley.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM
IBGary
Road Captain

I bought my 1st car, used in Chicago. Drove it to California on a temp plate. It took two months to get the title and registration worked out. During that time I couldn't bring the car on a Navy base, and I got two tickets.
Paperwork sucks.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
EaZ8
Cruiser

sounds like you asked them to add $ to your loan to get store credits or gift cards?
if this is the case, they buried the cost of these into the price of the bike to allow for it to be covered in your loan, thus raising taxes because the bike purchase price is now higher. loan companies probably wouldnt give you a loan for gift cards, and other gear.
so yes that sounds correct if im reading this right.

as for the title, im in Canada...we cant drive a vehicle without a valid ownership unless its on a temp permit, which is only issued if you buy privately and need it to get your safety inspection done. i think its only 10 days.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I suggest next time (if) you keep it straight-up, no adding, subtracting, considering, cohersing, fenageling, fudging, funking-up stuff.

It all sounds great till you get the bill and you will, with maybe heartburn, gas, indigestion, frustration, buying a gun to end the SOB, bla bla bla.

KISS, remember the rule, and be sure to see the title before you pay. Lost of slick shanagins going on lately.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
JeepnHD
Cruiser

You wouldnt have paid higher taxes because of the extras you added, you pay taxes on the purchase price of the vehicle/motorcycle not the extras, if you look at the bill of sale/tax form it will show the amount you are paying taxes on. What the bank gives you in a loan and what the state recognizes as purchase price are different. Take my bike for example, I just bought it new, paid $8200 for the bike, put down $2000 and added some extra stuff on for warranty, parts etc making the total amount of 9700 but only a loan of 7700 after my down payment, even with the extras and the loan amount being 7700 total. I am only paying taxes on the $8200 vehicle price.

Last edited by JeepnHD; 05-03-2012 at 10:48 AM.