Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Seats? Are they as uncomfortable as I was told?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
claydough001
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Seats? Are they as uncomfortable as I was told?

I recently purchased a 48 and it's bone stock. I didn't want my first upgrade to be a seat but after riding around on the stock one for a few weeks it's a must. I had my mind made up on an HD spring seat but when I swung into a local shop of mine the other day to get a price on it the guy behind the counter told me that the spring seat was for looks only and was not going to be an improvement over what I had already. That screwed me all up because now I'm not sure what kind of seat to get. I definately want something that's going to be more comfortable. Is this true about the spring seat? What are some nice solo seats that will provide more comfort? Help a brother out.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

A 2X4 with nails sticking out would be equal to or an improvement over the stock 48 seat. Ive got to imagine a spring seat is a least a little more comfortable. If you really want to be comfortable on all rides, short and long your going to have to break down and buy a bigger seat. I got a mustang and recovered it, I NEVER have a sore *** and its grown on me so I think Ill keep it.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Martads Bobber
Intermediate

I just put on a LaPerra "bare bones" and I'm happy with it. It's not a spring seat, but its pretty minimal. there are lots of good aftermarket seats out there - i would look outside of the harley catalog.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dont buy the hd solo seat. it's huge-freaking-mungous and looks retarded imo. go to eGay and search. if you're gonna keep your suspension, do us all a favor and rigid mount the seat instead of using springs. welcome to the site.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the HD springer seat and it's a good improvement over stock. It'll be for sale soon though, not because I don't like it but because I want something different.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM
goinboardn
Intermediate

My personal experience, after running a 48 seat on my Iron for a year and recently fitting a Rich Phillips seat, there is a tradeoff comfort wise. The spring seat is of course hard, but when i hit bumps in town or on the highway it is much easier on my back, which is worth the tradeoff no doubt. I am only running 2" springs and i bet it would be even better with 3's, but i like the low profile of the 2's

Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
hfp3030
Cruiser

Well I can honestly say it will feel different and you'll have a sore a$$ for a few days.. but then you'll get used to it and solo seats certainly look cool..

Iron 883 Bobber - YouTube

Mine is a little bouncy as you can see from the video, but that's all in the springs and can be replaced to whatever you like.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
claydough001
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rog48
A 2X4 with nails sticking out would be equal to or an improvement over the stock 48 seat. Ive got to imagine a spring seat is a least a little more comfortable. If you really want to be comfortable on all rides, short and long your going to have to break down and buy a bigger seat. I got a mustang and recovered it, I NEVER have a sore *** and its grown on me so I think Ill keep it.

I think that's what I'm starting to realize. I wanna be able to ride in comfort long distances but damn I like those spring seats. What kind of seat you got there?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
claydough001
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hfp3030
Well I can honestly say it will feel different and you'll have a sore a$$ for a few days.. but then you'll get used to it and solo seats certainly look cool..

Iron 883 Bobber - YouTube

Mine is a little bouncy as you can see from the video, but that's all in the springs and can be replaced to whatever you like.

You did a hell of a job on that bike. Very nice. I see you kind of bounce around back there pretty good. I love the look of that bike tho. Here in Louisiana our roads are pretty much some of the worst in the country. Not sure if could get away with that setup around here.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
JohnJameson
6th Gear

I rock this with no complaints. Also have three herniated discs and a few other issues with my back. No, its not a bike to go for a 200 mile cruise on but for around the town I love it.

Attached Thumbnails Spring Seats?  Are they as uncomfortable as I was told?-hd.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spring Seats? Are they as uncomfortable as I was told?