Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you learn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:55 AM
bobzharley41
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you learn?

Now that we know what your first bike was,how did you learn?Motorcycle class,friend or relative,or self practice? My brother showed me how to change gears on an old Honda Dirt Bike,and said your on your own.I stalled it out a few times before I got the hang of it.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
ellebee1
Intermediate
Default RE: How did you learn?

I learned like everyone else did. By falling down. Once you master the art of falling down, you can master the art of riding. At first, I didn't listen to anyones advice. But after you excavate two tons of gravel out of your knees and elbows,receive about 40 stitches, and two GOOD cracks in the head from your old man you FINALLY START to listen. Wouldn't change a thing. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".

Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 AM
captainhawg
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a kid, we begged, borrowed, hmm, but didn't steal, motorcyles, dirt bikes, mopeds, scooters, wherever we could. There were several of us, so one of us always had a "connection". We would take turns riding. On rare occasions, most of us, would ride, the rest would ride behind. It didn't matter to us, we were "in the wind". One kid had a old Harley scooter. That is how I learned to ride.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My dad had motorcycles all of my life. He built me a home made motor scooter when I was around7 years old. He taught me all I knew till maybe 10 years ago when I took the experienced rider course offered by the MSF and learned a few bad habits I had been applying over the years. That impressed me enough that I become a MSF instructor.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Back when I started riding I don't even think there were "motorcycle classes".

Most of us were self taught, borrowing bikes and getting some basic 'words of wisdom'from the old timers of the day.

Getting your motorcycle endorsement was also much easier back then. My "road test" consisted of riding to one side of a parking lot, and then riding back. LoL...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:45 AM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I grew up riding dirt bikes. Once you learn the basics of riding you never forget them. I didn't get a road bike until I was 35. I took H-D's Riders Edge course which helped loosen the rust from not riding for many years.

For a brand new rider I would suggest finding someone with a dirt bike to learn the basics of shifting and breaking first, before taking a class. Once you learn those you can concentrate on the other things and less on the basics.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

My first bike was a yamaha enduro (dirt bike)... took plenty of spills on it...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: mpaquette

I grew up riding dirt bikes. Once you learn the basics of riding you never forget them. I didn't get a road bike until I was 35. I took H-D's Riders Edge course which helped loosen the rust from not riding for many years.

For a brand new rider I would suggest finding someone with a dirt bike to learn the basics of shifting and breaking first, before taking a class. Once you learn those you can concentrate on the other things and less on the basics.
I have to second that. I think the most knowledge I ever gained was when I played week-end warrior in the dirt back in the 60's. All out riding in the dirt should be a mandatory requirement for getting an endorsement.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I learned by riding my Honda 50 mini trail around the yard, and then along the dirt roads that surrounded the family farm. As OFG said, getting your motorcycle endorsement was quite easy back in the dark ages. I had to follow a cage around the block for my road test.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I too rode dirt bikes as a kid. Took the MSF course in December which helped TREMENDOUSLY! Do it. That or the Rider's Edge course that Harley offers.

Quick Reply: How did you learn?