Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tuner options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM
JonnyO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PV. It simply is AN AWESOME TOOL!
The capabilities to tune the bike yourself, I just find too resisting.
There are numerous 'canned' tunes that come with the PV unit that, if you're running one of the tunes listed, you simply flash that tune to your ecm and off you go!
I bought the XL last year on a whim and it had already had the stage one stuff done to it but the kid had 2" Rush slip-ons on it that were just too loud for my tastes...and my neighbor's. ( BTW Ryan, at Rush, is a great guy to deal with! Thanks Ryan! )
So I took off the slip-ons and went back to the volkswagen sounding stock pipes.
Pfft.
But I did have a lot of fun dinking around with the PV tuner and tuning the bike. If you're lazy this is not for you-pay someone else to do it. Like Harley dealer who tuned the bike for the kid I bought my bike from-which showed temps reaching the 420s! BS! NOT GOOD!
I bought some Rush 1.5" baffles and put them in a couple of days ago.
Sounds like a Harley again and not TOO loud...but enough to let cages know you're in the vicinity. Good thing, that is.
I ran a log yesterday with the canned tune in the PV and checked it on MLV ( Mega Log Viewer ) and it showed that DynoJet had done there homework-the tune was ****.
No decel popping and plenty of pep.
I'm very happy with the PV.
Plus I use it, mounted on my handle bars as my VS and RPMs ( kid did one of those things where you mount the speedo below the tank-f'n stupid-unless you LIKE taking your eyes off the road )Also, on the same screen, I run fuel economy, VEs, tp, map. And many more options to choose from.
My vote is if you want to learn about how your engine is actually performing and why, get the PV.
If you just want to pay somebody to do it for you that's all good, too.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 AM
IBGary
Road Captain

1+ xied

Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Best tune you can get SERT on the DYNO by a pro.
Wow it is going to cost you but the best is the best.
Few if any need it.
Next is the PCV type systems TFI Gen4 high end very good costly and over kill for most
real world for most street riders TFI gen 3, or one of the cheap simple piggy backs with simple pot setting.
The real important part of your reply is "dyno by a pro"
i had the sert and had the dyno done at my dealer. always ran rich and had a dead spot on acceleration. they would tell me it was spot on. in rural new hampshire your choices of dyno stations are few and far between. upon replacing the sert with the thundermax the bike came alive. that is the real reason i like the thundermax. you don't have to rely on finding that pro tuner.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by IRON1250
The real important part of your reply is "dyno by a pro"
i had the sert and had the dyno done at my dealer. always ran rich and had a dead spot on acceleration. they would tell me it was spot on. in rural new hampshire your choices of dyno stations are few and far between. upon replacing the sert with the thundermax the bike came alive. that is the real reason i like the thundermax. you don't have to rely on finding that pro tuner.
But can it do as well as a pro? I doubt I could tune PowerVision as well as say FuelMoto. I could probably, with a lot of time spent, come close. I suppose it has to depend on what you are willing to accept. I tend to find that in my life, little to nothing good has come easy and cheap. Certainly not in the long run. Every time I tried to save money and effort, I paid more in spades later.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO
Plus I use it, mounted on my handle bars as my VS and RPMs ( kid did one of those things where you mount the speedo below the tank-f'n stupid-unless you LIKE taking your eyes off the road )Also, on the same screen, I run fuel economy, VEs, tp, map. And many more options to choose from.
X2 on the Power Vision. The bonus over the other tuners (talking real tuners, not piggy back devices) is quoted above.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Rich00748
Advanced

Might just go with the V&H Fuelpak in the meantime. How big are they and WHERE do you hide them?