Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Middle Age Crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Jerm21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Middle Age Crazy...

Here's a good example of a sport bike accident... 150+ mile an hour T-bone

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ne...ash/index.html

Old 01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Jerm21
Tourer

some more interesting info... granted it's from Europe, but there are no big US studies that are current.

European safety researchers have published what is being termed "the most comprehensive in-depth data currently available for Powered Two Wheelers (PTWs) accidents in Europe." Based on investigations of 921 motorcycle accidents (with 103 fatalities) in France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Spain, Motorcycle Accidents In Depth Study (MAIDS), provides the sort of comprehensive results rarely seen in motorcycle safety research. Funded by the Association of European Motorcycle Manufacturers (ACEM) with support from the European Commission and other partners, the study employed the widely recognized Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) methodology for on-scene in-depth motorcycle accident investigations. Employing the OECD methodology not only maintained a consistency between the groups conducting the accident investigations for MAIDS but also allows the data to be compared directly with that of other researchers who use the same system.

The study also collected exposure data, i.e., information about riders who did not crash, which permits researchers to explore how operators or vehicles that crash are different than the control group that does not crash. The MAIDS authors explain it thus: "This exposure information on non-accident involved PTW riders was essential for establishing the significance of the data collected from the accident cases and the identification of potential risk factors in PTW accidents. For example, if 20% of non-accident involved PTWs in the sampling area were red, it would be significant if 60% of those PTWs involved in an accident were reported to be red, suggesting that there is an increased risk of riding a red PTW. On the other hand, if none of the PTWs in the accident sample were red, it would be an interesting finding, needing further study."

Although there are differences in the highway systems, culture, vehicles, and other factors between the European countries where the study was conducted and the United States or other places, we still believe that many of the findings are useful and probably relevant to American riders. Here are some of the findings that might concern all riders and those with an interest in motorcycle safety anywhere.

The Other Guy is still deadly: The object motorcyclists most often collided with were passenger cars. In half of the collision accidents, the driver of the other vehicle was judged to have made the primary error that caused the crash, and he failed to "perceive" the motorcyclist in 70 percent of the two--vehicle collisions. In 37 percent of the the accidents with a partner, it was the motorcyclist who created the problem. As other research has concluded, drivers with motorcycling experience are more likely to see and avoid motorcyclists.

But you don't always need his help: The second most common point of impact was the roadway itself. Yes, some of these non-collision accidents happened as the rider attempted to avoid hitting a car, but plenty of riders managed to crash all by themselves. In rural areas over half the accidents happened without the help of another vehicle. This still leaves plenty of opportunity for serious injuries from curbs and roadside "furniture," especially those barriers intended to corral out-of-control cars. The authors note that collisions with such barriers often results in "serious lower extremity and spinal injuries as well as serious head injuries." Rider inattention was cited in 10.6 percent of the crashes.

It's not the speed. It's the sudden stop: "There were relatively few cases in which excess speed was an issue related to accident causation," The MAIDS authors note. However, the authors point that a speed differential—going either faster or slower than nearby traffic—was a contribu

Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just gotta ride smart and safe. Like I said in other posts, I ride like an old lady.lol!!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

the craze here in beaverton seems to be guys wearing a baseball cap backwards then they put on a half helmet over that, is this done for a reason? And is this done throughout the US? I noticed one guy doing it about a year ago and within the last year now it seems like every harley rider has a baseball cap on backwards then a half helmet on top of that.Anyone know why? If theres a good enough reason hell ill start doing it too.....

Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: saltlick

the craze here in beaverton seems to be guys wearing a baseball cap backwards then they put on a half helmet over that, is this done for a reason? And is this done throughout the US? I noticed one guy doing it about a year ago and within the last year now it seems like every harley rider has a baseball cap on backwards then a half helmet on top of that.Anyone know why? If theres a good enough reason hell ill start doing it too.....
You mean... everyone doesn't do it... Go Figure....

Charlie D.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
pokey
Tourer

the hats under the helmet cuz their going to wear it, when they take the helmet off.... their probaly bald....

I don't want to read stats. I want to ride, you have to think also, how large cars are getting, SUV'S, etc.... think OldFender guy said: Gotta be a little crazy to throw a leg over", we could all fall down the front steps, and kill ourselves....

Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oops wrong subject!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: sealbeachbum

I love the "Bad Boy", but they only made it from 1996-98. I don't understand why it wasn't more popular.
I don't know, as it was a nice looking bike, and ran great with the EVO...

Some people I know that tried it found it to be uncomfortable. I don't recall riding one, so I don't know.

Here is some additional information on the BadBoy.. Lots of go stuff about the bike, opinions, etc..

It's called "Last Impression, Harley Davidson Bad Boy"

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcharley/badboy.html

Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

Man, that article makes me want to buy one!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 AM
eggroll
Road Master

ORIGINAL: saltlick

the craze here in beaverton seems to be guys wearing a baseball cap backwards then they put on a half helmet over that, is this done for a reason?
Just another in a sad string of Bad Fashion Fads, whose register includes parachute pants, earth shoes and the Mullet. Give it a few years, some of us will be laughing, others will be destroying the photographic evidence...

Quick Reply: Middle Age Crazy...