Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happened to biker's helping each other

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 AM
thundergod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happened to biker's helping each other

was out riding with abro yesterday and the primary belt broke on his bike. we were on the side of the rode laying on the ground working on his bike and at least 40 harley rider's rode by and not one stopped hell they never even gave a second look and some even threw us a wave. this pissed me off to know end. i am new to harley's this being my first but i have been riding since 7 years old. mostly rice rocket's until now. but even when i rode 10 years ago( the last time i had a bike} if i would even pull off the side of the road someone would stop to see if you needed help. i geuss today is different but i will always stop for a biker in need no matter what they ride and wish eveyone else would do the same. sorry about the rant but i just had to get it off my chest.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what happened to biker's helping each other

That really sucks!!! You would think someone would of at least asked if everything was okay or needed help! Oh BTW, it's the secondary belt. The primary drive is a chain. Still sucks though!!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bikes are 'in style' now. There's a lot of people who ride that don't understand what's been termed 'the rules.' Scary thing is, there's a lot of people that wouldn't know how to turn a wrench. That, and most today just assume that everyone has a cell phone. Me, I still stop as well. Karma

Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably a combination ofmore newer riders that don't know you should stop and this lovely day and age when people kill you for stopping? Sorry you had to go through that, I would have stopped for ya even if you were on a scooter

Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Years back, I was riding my crotch rocket to Rock Island Arsenal, when I ran out of gas. (I know, I know.....dumb azz.......). Anyway, at least 5 metric riders, from sport bikes to Wings went by, w/o even slowing down. 1st bike that stopped was a ratty old Harley, being driven by an even rattier looking biker.

He asked what the prob was, and when I told him I was out of gas, he took an bungied on gas can off the side, and poured it into my tank. Refused payment for the gas, and told me I could help another biker out someday. Like I said, years ago .

Over this past summer, I was heading home on my FLH, and had some sort of intermittent ignition problem. It lasted maybe 5miles......did it that one time, and hasn't done it since. Anyway, I was doing good to maintain 20 mph down the highway, so was riding on the shoulder of the road. A couple days later, I was working a part time job ( security at a large Sonic Drive In), that is frequented by the sport bike crowd. Two of em asked me why I was going so slow down the shoulder the other day. I told THEM that had they stopped to see if I needed help, I would have gladly told them then, but being as how they didn't even have the courtesy to slow down, that they didn't need to worry about my problem.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:52 AM
thundergod
Tourer

he has an fxrs and he changed primary from chain to belt. thank's for the replies i guess someone needs to teach the new rider's the rules.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 AM
mmarsalone
Cruiser

You know, it would be hard to tell that you weren't the first to stop and help. I think it wouldhave beendifferent if you or your brother were alone. But seeing two of you on the side of the road, they probably figured the two of you had it under control. Your bike was still working and you could go for help if needed. What could a third biker have done for you that you were not able to do yourself. If you had gone for help and left your brother, some bikers may have stopped.

I really can't say what people out on the road would do, just giving what it might have looked like by the passers by.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just common courtesy! I had a guy come by a shop I worked at a few years back. He had a custom bike. Wouldn't start. I checked it out and the positive cable end was broken. I repaired it for nothing and sent him on his way.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: mmarsalone

You know, it would be hard to tell that you weren't the first to stop and help. I think it wouldhave beendifferent if you or your brother were alone. But seeing two of you on the side of the road, they probably figured the two of you had it under control. Your bike was still working and you could go for help if needed. What could a third biker have done for you that you were not able to do yourself. If you had gone for help and left your brother, some bikers may have stopped.

I really can't say what people out on the road would do, just giving what it might have looked like by the passers by.
That's a good point......

Old 01-02-2007, 02:06 AM
brauny1
Road Master

Bummer, hard to believe 40 Harley riders passed you by, did you pull up your pant leg or something?[sm=yikesomg.gif]

I've stopped a few times, once was a cager. My Sporty hasn't had a problem in 6 year, lucky I guess.

Quick Reply: what happened to biker's helping each other