Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil check

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil check

Boys....so i'm still getting a lot of oil blow by on my bike. i'm running the diy a/c from mreed and was also running the breather hose/small filter setup and wanted to go with some breather bolts to clean it up. first long ride to work, oil everywhere and wasn't even revving the thing overly excessive. i'm pissed to say the least. here's my question, the manual says check the oil on the stand (not sure why but ok) so that's where i always checked it (hot obviously). i was told by more than one person to run the oil level as low as possible to combat the blow by which i thought i was doing. if you can see it on the stick it has enough oil. ok. on the stand i'm just barely showing up on the stick, bike straight up and down i'm half way between fill and full. perfect right?

well i'm still getting blow by with this diy setup. i bit the f-ing bullet and bought a new xflow a/c that is made for efi's with the breather function built into the back plate. nice product! i ran a ness BS before that's also for efi's and that thing spewed oil like crazy so i got rid of it and went with the diy a/c which was ok with the breather tube setup as long as i wasn't hammering it for hours on end when it would start to mist or drip. as soon as i installed the breather bolts from DK, oil everywhere. so, i must be still running a little too much oil correct? if this new a/c does the same thing, that has to be it. i've heard of umbrella valves etc. sticking open that could cause this (hope that's not the case for me) but how are you guys checking your oil and is anyone else dealing with this? side stand or straight up? i get mixed feedback all the time so thought i'd ask. thanks guys! domo arigato....

Last edited by bmxatv; 04-26-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

On kickstand, hot, to full mark. No blowby, or very little anyway.

But as mentioned in another thread with a dry sump system there is always the same amount of oil in the engine regardless of how much oil is in your tank. Knowing that I dont understand the correlation between oil level and amont of blowby.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Joker Machine 4 inch air cleaner on mine. Breather passages are built into the backplate I have very little oil reaching my filter. Top quality product. A bit pricy but worth it IMO.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I have the Joker Machine 4 inch air cleaner on mine. Breather passages are built into the backplate I have very little oil reaching my filter. Top quality product. A bit pricy but worth it IMO.
I just installed the same one a few weeks ago and I pretty much rev the **** out of my bike on every ride and no issues so far. As I stated in a previous post, I'm filling the oil level the same as you are bmx.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

thx guys. i know it was mentioned in another thread but i'm just trying to get feedback from more people as this issue just doesn't want to go away. i'm gonna install the a/c tonight and hopefully get out and give it a rip. fingers crossed!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Maybe you have a problem with the (breather) umbrella valves.
I don't suggest running the oil level any lower. As long as the HOT oil level isn't above the FULL mark when the bike is in the upright position, the oil level isn't your problem, it's something else.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My bike will blow oil out the breather if it's any higher than the full cold mark when hot,and on the kickstand.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck!!! I hope you get her fixed!

Originally Posted by bmxatv
thx guys. i know it was mentioned in another thread but i'm just trying to get feedback from more people as this issue just doesn't want to go away. i'm gonna install the a/c tonight and hopefully get out and give it a rip. fingers crossed!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
I don't suggest running the oil level any lower. As long as the HOT oil level isn't above the FULL mark when the bike is in the upright position, the oil level isn't your problem, it's something else.
well i guess after i get this new breather on and test ride it i'll know. if it's still spewing, bike is going to the shop to have the valves looked at. i just don't have the time to rip into the motor. thx cHarley!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:09 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I agree with cHarley.

I am checking mine on the side stand cold or hot...either way I want to see the oil level right around or a tad below Halfway between the two hash marks.

It could be the umbrella valves...and I hate to mention it, but one of the symptoms of a crank being out of true is puking oil out the breather bolts.

Quick Reply: Oil check