Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting in Neutral

I bought a 1200C and finally got to start riding it this week. I could swear I've been starting it in first gear, due to it being a pain to hit neutral.

This morning it wouldn't start unless it was in neutral. Am I going crazy and just thought I'd been starting in gear, or could something have gone haywire?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the clutch held when you start it in gear?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

By rights you should start it in neutral AND with the clutch pulled in but it will start in gear with the clutch pulled in.
What you really need to do is get in the habit of putting it in neutral with the engine still running before shutting it off, then your good to go when you restart it.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I'm not aware of any reason you must start in neutral. I'm kind of surprised you have any trouble finding it, did you take a motorcycling course?

Is your run/stop switch set to RUN?? If set to STOP that would keep it from starting even though the engine turns over.

Practice finding neutral, it's a critical skill.

Good riding,

John

Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Yes, the clutch is held in. I found it easier than fooling around with the half shift to hit neutral.

I did notice it try to move if the clutch wasn't pulled in all the way. There's certainly no slop in it.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
DMorr99
Road Master

I always turn mine off in neutral and then restart it the same way with the clutch pulled in. Old habit from trying to start bikes not realizing they were in gear and looking like a dumbass I guess.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Yes I took the course, not that I'm a novice rider...every bike style has it's quirks; I just need to get used to the 1200's little foibles.

I've only ridden it since Monday, so it's still getting used to me.

Maybe I just had a brainfart. Guess I'll find out when I leave work tonight.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM
SpecterGT260
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
By rights you should start it in neutral AND with the clutch pulled in but it will start in gear with the clutch pulled in.
What you really need to do is get in the habit of putting it in neutral with the engine still running before shutting it off, then your good to go when you restart it.
this^^^

they don't like to shift too well when the motor isnt running so neutral is much easier to find before you turn it off rather than before you start it.

If you can no longer start in gear with the clutch pulled the sensor may be out that detects clutch position (it may just be a contact switch by the lever.... I am not sure) My 2011 does not have a kickstand sensor like some euro bikes have, but that is another possibility for these symptoms if you have such a switch.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
SpecterGT260
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
I'm not aware of any reason you must start in neutral. I'm kind of surprised you have any trouble finding it, did you take a motorcycling course?

Is your run/stop switch set to RUN?? If set to STOP that would keep it from starting even though the engine turns over.

Practice finding neutral, it's a critical skill.

Good riding,

John
what year does this hold true for? On newer bikes the switch cuts out all electrical to the motor. You can hit the starter and nothing will happen. I honestly never use it because the key turns it off just fine, and I dont feel the need to add another step to getting my bike runnign

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Being new to the bike, I suspect you forgot something in the starting sequence. The bike will start in gear. As a matter of fact, they will start in gear without the clutch pulled in. That can be embarrassing.

Quick Reply: Starting in Neutral