Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportster durable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sportster durable?

What grade oil do you run in your Sporty? 110 miles a day thats a bunch.

Id'e go with a bigger bike for the comfort.

A lady here that taught the motorcycle safety course rode a H/D touring bike can't remember the model, but usually put on 15K a yr, she never complained about the cost to operate/maintain the bike.

Tom

Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the others said, it's not the BIKE'S durability that the techs were questioning. It was probably YOURS!! LOL. I personally don't have any "comfort issues" with mine. I've got it set up just the way I like it. But if you don't or can't, then yeah, maybe you DO need a "bigger" bike.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:33 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have to guess if you only drove half the mileage you would still have the blow-by problem. Sounds like a problem the techs should address and nothing to do with durability or accumulated mileage. An example would be: whenI bought my bike I rode it 1700 miles in 4 days to bring it home. No problems !! I'm not putting on hearly the mileage on my 05 1200 C that you are but I've averaged over a thousand a month since April and again, no problems.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 272 Likes on 168 Posts

I've put close to that kind of mileage on mine and also use my Sporty as, primarily; a commuter. If is not precipitating and will not maintain 32 degrees, I'll ride to and from work. Its a ~84 mile round trip ride. 1/2 or more of the way is on Interstate 85 and 40 at highway speeds and I havent had any oil issues (yet). The only problem I have experienced is the sputtering and spitting carb at low rpm. The stage one is scheduled for tomorrow morning .. hopefully the carb issues will be taken care of. I bought the bike in August and just turned 5100 miles.
Although I realize that its early in the game, so far its durable enough.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A riding friend of mine bought his 883 new a little overa year ago and has over 28,000 miles on it already and still going strong and he loves it.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:06 PM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what you have posted previously, the bike was used when you bought it, correct? An 883 can do the type of riding you describe, although the 1200 factory bikes would be better suited, as the final drive allows cruising at lower rpms. If you do a 1200 upgrade, you'll still have the higher gearing issue. The dyna with six speeds (2006-2007) are great bikes that cruise at a nice low rpm with the new tranny. We have one member with a 2007 1200 sportster (XL50) that has almost 10,000 miles, so the Sporty can clearly do what you are doing. As for the blow-bye issue, the 2004 models (and later) addressed some of these issues.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Ex11b
Advanced

thanx for all the replies.
the post was concerning the durability of the BIKE. not my comfort, although the bike is very comfortable to me, ive ridden 300 miles in a day, no issues as far as comfort.
the upgrades so far....
SE II pipes, and a Doherty AC, and power vents to solve the blow-by issue

Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sportie can hold up to any other Harley. As everyone said the comfort level is the only other factor.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:13 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On Average I do 100 miles a day. Not on a daily basis, I work at home, so my commute is pretty lame. But, I certainly do about 500 - 600 miles a week.

I was also told I ride too hard for the Sportser, thus the blow by oil leak.. Well, that's Bu!! $h!t!! Unfortunately, the MoCo doesn't have a fix for the problem. Several dealers have told me that the blowby shouldn't happen, and I agree with them. But they can't fix the problem. Only one tech acknowleged this is a common problem. All the others seemed like they had never seen this before.

If you get the Screamin Eagle air cleaner, the back plate will redirect the oil "misting" from the bango bolts straight into the mouth of the carborator. That eliminates the "hope" that the oil will be sucked into the carb.

This is a serious design problem, just most people that buy Sportsers either:

1. Spend more time looking at them in the garage, and outside the biker bar, than riding them.

or

2. Fall into the dealership trap, that they need a larger bike.

Now, personally, I'd love to have a Road King. And was planning on trading for one this Spring. However, at this point, I don't think I could part with my Sporty, and I don't think 2 bikes are in the financial, or marital picture.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 AM
wannahdawg
Road Captain

well i don't ride that much every day, but i do ride a lot on the weekends and no blow by. i do have the SE air cleaner with a k&n filter though. another member to talk to is ******, he rides over a 100miles everyday and he doesn't have that problem either. His is an 05 883C with over 18,000 miles on it with no blow by. Just your dealer trying to make more money off your problems. My bike had tranny work done twice and they said that i also ride to hard for a sporty, so why don't they just make me a good deal on a street bob. I told them that if i hadda wanted a street bob i'd bought one. but i wanted a sporty so that's what i bought. anyway, tell your dealer to screw off and fix the problem.if your bike still has a warranty then call customer service, its awesome. they really will do everything to help you. if its not look for another dealer or a local trusted bike shop. hope everything works out.

later, wanna

Quick Reply: sportster durable?