Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring side license plate light

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring side license plate light

Just rec'd my Figure Machines side license plate mount, looking for info on where to wire the LEDs to... bike is an 09 1200 Low.

TIA

Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

I have the same plate mount. Took some modification to get the wire to run out of the plate correctly. I basically ran the wire from the end of the bracket, down the back of the swingarm, along the brake like and up into the seat area. I tapped in to the wiring here.

Also, use Loctite on the two bolts holding the plate bracket to the mounting arm. Mine almost fell off while riding yesterday......

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response. Was planning on loctite for sure. Which wires did you tap into specifically?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by digitalhippie
Thanks for the quick response. Was planning on loctite for sure. Which wires did you tap into specifically?
I have the run/brake/turn module under my seat, so I used that to avoid tapping in to the main harness. I cant remember what color wires as I do not have my manual in front of me. Do you have a service manual? If so, it has the wiring diagrams. I remember black was ground and cant remember what the other wire color was but can check when I get home.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser

Alright. I have to poke around with the multimeter then... don't have a manual handy. If you have a second when you get home and could check for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser

I guess since the current is minimal for LEDs, and since this should come on whenever the bike is on... all I really need is a ground and any 12V-on-key... doesn't need to be the taillight. I'll go poke around and figure it out, thanks for your help!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser

For anyone else interested... The output side of fuse 7 (bottom side, lights fuse) for positive, either of the silver screws under the seat (that go directly into the frame) for negative. Done and done.

I see what you mean about the bracket... they could have cut the channel better so the bolt doesn't pinch the wire in half.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by digitalhippie
For anyone else interested... The output side of fuse 7 (bottom side, lights fuse) for positive, either of the silver screws under the seat (that go directly into the frame) for negative. Done and done.

I see what you mean about the bracket... they could have cut the channel better so the bolt doesn't pinch the wire in half.
Good deal. I ended up grinding a notch and drilling a hole in the channel for the wire to exit. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Did you get a longer shock bolt to accomodate for the thickness of the bracket? I had a hard time finding one.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser

I'm going to find a longer bolt... I loaded it with blue threadlock, but the fact that it doesn't reach the "locking" portion of the nut bothers me. But it's supposed to rain up here all week so I have time to find something...

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
digitalhippie
Cruiser

Do you remember what size/thread replacement bolt you used?

Quick Reply: Wiring side license plate light