Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Productive Weekend (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knights
i wouldnt have thought that the headlamp trim would have made such a huge change to the look of the bike, i love it and i must have it lol.
i like the inspection cover aswel, iv been looking for a replacment, silly me, never thought of just painting it
Thanks Knights! It really did set the bike off quite a bit. Super easy to paint too.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmxatv
black.....chrome for real men. nice job!
Indeed! Black is the new chrome! lol

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by poisonthesteve
I absolutely love the tail light! i was thinking about getting something just like it, just gotta pull off my rear fender and chop it up a little bit.

Was it plug-and-play? or did you have to splice wires and the like?
Thanks! I love it. One of the best purchases Ive made so far. It was really easy. The hardest part was lifting the *** end to get enough room to squeeze your arm in there to run the cable. Otherwise it just snapped right in to the existing wiring. About 20 minutes worth of work.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Martads Bobber
That does look nice. I really like the headlight trim. I'm going to do that this weekend. Can't believe I didn't think of it - I just painted the automated clamp for my speedo and they are exactly the same finish. Thanks for the idea.
Thanks man. Shoot some pics when you're done! :-)

Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
sportyforty
Intermediate

New HD owner here and here is a stupid question... When you removed the derby cover is there oil in there that can spill? Should you drain the oil first? Great job by the way...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Mullenmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by sportyforty
New HD owner here and here is a stupid question... When you removed the derby cover is there oil in there that can spill? Should you drain the oil first? Great job by the way...

Thanks, and welcome to the club. Your bike looks sweet! To answer your question, if you take it off the way it sits then oil will drip out. I put a 2x4 under my kickstand to level it a little, and not a drop leaked out. You will have a little oil on the back of the cover though. You can wipe that off with a lint free cloth.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
bman5150
5th Gear

So, what is the process for painting chrome parts flat black? and what kind of paint do you use?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:35 PM
barbs3131
Advanced

I am also interested in the paint you used to paint the inspection covers, well done!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced

Believe it or not, Im just using Krylon grey primer and flat black from a rattlecan. Walmart for $4 a can. My process is this:

1. Remove all parts and cover exposed resivoirs with a draped cloth and masking tape. Or if you are in a dirty environment, lay the part on cardboard, trace it out and cut a template that will be used as a temp cover.

2. Wash the parts with water and a little car wash soap (Make sure it doesnt have any wax in it). Dry the part.

3. Use 220 grit sandpaper to lightly scuff the surface, creating a cris cross pattern so the paint will stick better.

4. Wash and dry the parts again to remove any residue or paint dust.

5. Take a metal hanger or my favorite, picture wire and cut several pieces to hang the parts from the ceiling, garage door, etc. If you dont have anything you can hang the parts from, take wrapping paper and cut enough to lay the parts on and a little extra for over spray, and hold it down to the floor with masking tape.

6. Get your grey primer and shake it up for a couple minutes, shoot about 3 light coats and a fourth, heavier one waiting about two minutes between coats. After about 10 minutes, inspect the surface for any imperfections. Sand down where appropriate very very lightly and shoot another coat if needed. The coat of primer should be smooth in the end.

7. Take your flat black (Or color of your choosing) and do the same thing as the primer.

8. I wait until the next day to put the parts back on, but you can safely put them on after a couple of hours.

Also, when putting the new parts back on, cover your tool or the part with a cloth wherever they may bump into each other.

Thats it. Simple. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM
sportyforty
Intermediate

Thanks for the instruc... I will try this weekend. Did you replace the gasket?

Quick Reply: Productive Weekend (Pics)