Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed my 1200C fender chop

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
EaZ8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job.
i plan to do the same thing and put a side mount plate.
also, these license plate screws have built in led lights...this is what im going to be using to keep it legal.
http://www.amazon.com/License-Plate-.../dp/B001QZ3MQC

Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasSportster
Thanks man. I plan on adding a small radius to the edge. I wanted a straighter chop so it looks a little different. In a perfect world I would not have the trim, but the clear chipped in enough places that touch up paint wouldn't quite get the job done. I hope to get a paint job this year and will get rid of the trim then.
well if you ever do it again, lay some painters tape down over the area you want to cut then cut. didn't take any paint off mine when i did it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM
sportyforty
Intermediate

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...y/IMG_1254.jpg

I am looking at chopping the rear fender but i want to keep the shocks, trying to figure out the best way any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
sportyforty
Intermediate

I am looking at chopping the rear fender but i want to keep the shocks, trying to figure out the best way any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM
KTM1217
1st Gear

Whered you get the lights and everything to do the tail light swap? id like to do this to my 98 Sportster also, but i dont want to chop the fender. if you dont mind me asking, whatd the lights and module run you? id like the lights to work as running, brake and turn signals.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasSportster
Next step was to remove the fender. This started by taking off the center mounted tail light and licence plate bracket. I then removed the 4 bolts and seat post holding the rear fender on. I also removed the ECU and set it to the side. The chrome strut covers came off with the blinkers and then the fender lifted right out.
You didn't have to remove the rear wheel to remove the fender? The reason I ask is that I am planning on the reverse of this, namely replacing a Nightster's factory-bobbed fender with a standard one. The shop manual says to remove the rear wheel, but that's a lot of work.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 AM
DougYITBOS
Tourer

I've got a 2008 XL883, and got my fender off for paint without messing with the wheel.
A jack though is going to really help.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KTM1217
Whered you get the lights and everything to do the tail light swap? id like to do this to my 98 Sportster also, but i dont want to chop the fender. if you dont mind me asking, whatd the lights and module run you? id like the lights to work as running, brake and turn signals.
I used the stock turn signals with the run/brake/turn module from harley. It plugs in under the seat and makes the turn signals run as brakes. I got a figure machine licence plate bracket that had a white led strip in it. That is wired down the swingarm and up under the seat. I deleted my center mount stock tail light and have since added an under fender LED brake light as I wanted better visibility.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rdunnill
You didn't have to remove the rear wheel to remove the fender? The reason I ask is that I am planning on the reverse of this, namely replacing a Nightster's factory-bobbed fender with a standard one. The shop manual says to remove the rear wheel, but that's a lot of work.
No wheel removal needed. As stated, a jack does help to get the tire down enough to have room to work with the fender hardware.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Kenny Crybaby
Cruiser

I actually like the trim. I think it flows with the lines in the paint and keeps it clean and polished looking.

Quick Reply: Completed my 1200C fender chop