Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While drunk last night I had what I thought was a great idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by fkehoe
someones got their panties in a knot. i was just asking, which is how someone gains knowledge.
He probably just had a couple "get well" bloody marys. Ha!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like a solid question for the intended application of the system........

I say go for it!

Many of us back in the day of drum brakes only had rear working brakes and most of us lived. Hell I had two bikes that had no front brake at all back when I was a teen in the 60's, that's how a lot of us learned how to ride bikes in the first place. If you wanted to panic stop you used the motor as an engine brake by down shifting very rapidly and applying brake pressure at the same time. It was all about learning the machine you rode and learning it's own spontaneity, not just how fast it could go.

If I wanted more rear braking power with a rear disc, I would think about adding a second caliper to the rear disc, as it will equal out the applied pressures to both calipers, as not to cause brake fade causing one to apply more pressure and cause lock ups, unless intended.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
It sounds like a solid question for the intended application of the system........

I say go for it!

Many of us back in the day of drum brakes only had rear working brakes and most of us lived. Hell I had two bikes that had no front brake at all back when I was a teen in the 60's, that's how a lot of us learned how to ride bikes in the first place. If you wanted to panic stop you used the motor as an engine brake by down shifting very rapidly and applying brake pressure at the same time. It was all about learning the machine you rode and learning it's own spontaneity, not just how fast it could go.

If I wanted more rear braking power with a rear disc, I would think about adding a second caliper to the rear disc, as it will equal out the applied pressures to both calipers, as not to cause brake fade causing one to apply more pressure and cause lock ups, unless intended.
Thank you. I've received enough feedback on this thread and on another forum that I've decided to go with it. Will try a hose first, if there seems to be insufficient pressure I'll go the hard line route - which is a good idea, I like good ideas. I am already WAY more comfy with the idea of the hand lever than I was driving that bike with just the foot pedal brake.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,754 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by schwingding
This is a stupid statement that everyone parrots but no one actually considers, so don't feel like I'm singling you out.

If you have only a rear brake, 100% of your braking power comes from the rear brake. If you have both front and rear, and you never use the rear (as most of us do) 100% comes from the front.

Many of the guys on this forum are worse than a nagging wife or mother - nobody asked for advice on whether to use a front brake in this thread - NOBODY asked. Do you think I just forgot to put a front brake on, perhaps? Do you think I wanted advice on whether to run a front brake when I asked my original question to start this thread? Or do you think that maybe, since I already made the decision to not run one, I would perhaps enjoy a discussion on the merits of front braking instead?

This bike will be rarely ridden, it's not my daily rider like most of your sporties are for you. At least 90% of my riding will be on the vrod. This thing is for parking lot shows, that's it.

Answer the question asked, or go the f' home. Pontificating not appreciated.
Really tick off the safety nannies - tell them you're not going to wear a helmet, either!

I was wondering if there was room and a way you could mount the master cylinder underneath and work it with a cantilever and cable? Would keep your bars a little cleaner looking.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go for it!

Well said, I had a bike with rear drum only working (didn't have the bucks to fix the front brake) and I lived.
fkehoe, the problem we have on this forum is when you want to do something you also get opinions that change the subject or do not help in how to do something, you did have a valid question, but maybe if you said "Just asking" he may have responded differently. In schwingding's "defense he did say "so don't feel like I'm singling you out".

Sorry schwingding if I jacked the thread.

I would use a braided cable for that length.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps a reverse throttle set up similar to Exiles would work with your system. It would keep your bars clean and should work the same as a lever.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it!

I'm a newbie so this sparked my interest... I also drive a jeep and this is how I slow down. I use the motor to slow me down and clutch my way through the gears to a crawl then apply the brakes. It's just the way I've done it. Is there anything wrong with doing that with my Harley?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

you might want to you a master cylinder of a duel front disc bike, so you get more fluid to the rear faster.....I like the idea of metal lines along the frame and on the headlebars and just adding rubber at the steering head and swing arm....In my head I can see a master cylinder inside of the handle bars that when you squeeze the handle it pivots inside the bar and you run the brake line inside the handlebars...it could be done....now that would be clean...

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM
rjm729
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a slightly different idea but would it ne possible to run a master cylinder like on a car that runs both front and back brakes at a different rate (front 70 ish back 30 ish). It would be a fool way to clean up the bars and still have a front brake.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of great ideas but I'm done spending a lot of time and money on this bike. It is my in between chopper. I'm moving in a few months but after that I'm going to begin building my dream chopper, I've posted a pic of it before....here is again. Going for almost an exact dupe...

Attachment 624910

Quick Reply: While drunk last night I had what I thought was a great idea