Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While drunk last night I had what I thought was a great idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Probably won't matter for long how you use the back brake; with no front brake just a matter of time before you go splat on a cage that pulls out in front of you. Not trying to be a wise ***, either. Everybody has to nail the brakes sometime, and without a front brake, you'll just have tire squeal off the back wheel while you slow down a bit before impact. I wouldn't ride around the block without a front brake. It must be possible for someone to ride through life and never need to stop fast, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 AM
tkunk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullenmc
Please forgive my ignorance if this question sounds stupid, as I am a novice (motorcycle) wrench turner, but would the front m/c hold enough volume of fluid to travel all that way and supply the needed pressure to drive the calipers? Seems you would have to use a smaller diameter brake line. Just a thought........a sober one.
The lines would be full, no matter how long. You lose a little responsiveness with longer lines due to line flex, but very close to the same amount.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey.... here is an idea.. the Beringer Inboard brake system

http://motorcyclebuilders.net/news/?p=62

http://www.hdwheels.com/images/40-60...d%20system.jpg

It is hard to find information about this system, they are made in France.. I am sure this system is ridiculously expensive!! from what I can tell, it is a complete hub system for spoked wheels.. the last link seems to show a wheel that is sold with this system for Harleys.. from the pictures it does not look like it needs the fork brake mounts....

Cheers !!!!!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Mr.Twisted
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you got me thinking and I'm not drunk right now, but if you really want to do this my feeling is that you could do a pretty clean install if you used a solid line anywhere you didn't need flex, like along the frame toward the rear caliper, then you would only need flex at the front somewhere to get from the front fork to the frame, same with the rear end of the line a short flex at the rear, all custom of course. This would help hold line pressure as you would only have flex/expansion pressure at the two short pieces of hose.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Why not put the front brake back on? That would be a moment of genius . They make some good looking small add ons that work.

I would be more likely to put on a second front brake rotor.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While your idea is bright, it still will a rear brake. I've locked my rear up before. Not fun. I use my front brake like a ***** sweating in church.... All the time. Sometimes I don't even use the rear. I think the first time you need to make an emergency stop and lock up that rear wheel you will decide if It's worth it. Otherwise, that road you're on is gonna have a lot of metal flake on it. Ride safe.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I like the idea of using solid lines to the rear caliper as much as possible.

I don't like the idea of no front brake, the front brake does about 70% of your stopping, car or bike. You'll end up losing control of the rear tire and sliding under the car you will hit. I'd hate to be in that situation, knowing I could have stopped easily if I had that front binder.

John

Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
fkehoe
6th Gear

handling 70% of stopping p[ower, why would you not want afront brake?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fkehoe
handling 70% of stopping p[ower, why would you not want afront brake?
This is a stupid statement that everyone parrots but no one actually considers, so don't feel like I'm singling you out.

If you have only a rear brake, 100% of your braking power comes from the rear brake. If you have both front and rear, and you never use the rear (as most of us do) 100% comes from the front.

Many of the guys on this forum are worse than a nagging wife or mother - nobody asked for advice on whether to use a front brake in this thread - NOBODY asked. Do you think I just forgot to put a front brake on, perhaps? Do you think I wanted advice on whether to run a front brake when I asked my original question to start this thread? Or do you think that maybe, since I already made the decision to not run one, I would perhaps enjoy a discussion on the merits of front braking instead?

This bike will be rarely ridden, it's not my daily rider like most of your sporties are for you. At least 90% of my riding will be on the vrod. This thing is for parking lot shows, that's it.

Answer the question asked, or go the f' home. Pontificating not appreciated.

Last edited by schwingding; 04-22-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM
fkehoe
6th Gear

someones got their panties in a knot. i was just asking, which is how someone gains knowledge.

Quick Reply: While drunk last night I had what I thought was a great idea