Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 PM
DJinNJ
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation issue

Hello and Happy New Year to all my fellow Sportster riders.

In October the Dealer did a stage one on my bike at which time they installed a Kuryakyn High-Five air cleaner. Right away there wasa problem with oil sprayon the pipes and oil cover. The rubber boots that go on the cylinder heads don't seal all that well. Then in November, the bike began to run real crappy, no power and lots of farts etc. I limped into the dealer and after two hours they had me up and running again. The problem was condensation forming in the tubes between the breathers and the air cleaner. This mixed with the oil forming a sludge and clogging the carb.

I thought that this might be due to the fact that the system wasn't sealed well enough so I installed a set of Doherty Power Vents hoping that getting a good seal at the cylinder heads would eliminate the condensation. Well it didn't help at all but it did fix the oil on the bike issue. Now after every ride I have to pull the tubes off the carb and drain the water and clean the sludge out so it doesn't accumulate in the carb again.

This obviously isn't an issue in the warmer weather but I intend to ride year round as long as the road conditions permit. Anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate the build up of condensation? Between the air cleaner, power vents and service costs I really don't want to start over as it has cost far more than it's worth.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Condensation issue

If it were me I would be getting rid of that air cleaner.

When you did the "Stage 1" did you specify that specific brand of air cleaner, or did the dealer pick it out and install it on their own?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

If it were me I would be getting rid of that air cleaner.

When you did the "Stage 1" did you specify that specific brand of air cleaner, or did the dealer pick it out and install it on their own?
Ditto on that!

Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM
DJinNJ
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I supplied the air cleaner. Really liked the look it gave the bike. It is fairly new I think because I couldn't find any reviews on it before buying it.[:@]

Old 12-31-2006, 01:22 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you are getting condensation is because the air cleaner is not letting the carb pull enough vacuum on the crankcase to properly vent it.Maybe it is installed wrong or not designed properly to do the task it needs to do.The condensation in the tubes is your least concern.Think about all the water in your engine oil from your crankcase not being properly vented.That will ruin your crank and bearings if not corrected.