Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find pegs for my 2012 Sportster 1200 Custom

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Mick Stevens
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find pegs for my 2012 Sportster 1200 Custom

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here and it's fantastic to see all the great ideas for customizing your bikes!

I purchased a brand new Sportster 1200 Custom, and have changed the seat along with a small backrest. I've also added some V&H slip ons... man does this thing sound cool!

My next idea was to change out the stock foot pegs - but I had no idea what a pain in the butt it would be. I stopped at my local bike shop and purchased the standard Kurykayn pegs that said it fits add HD models.... wrong! The female clevis on my bike it offset - One side is longer than the other! The guys at the bike shop were stumped on this one, they had nothing that would fit my bike. The Kurykayn website says they will fit, but they don't. I stopped at the local HD dealership and they didn't believe me until they walked over the all the new 2012 bikes with forward controls, and sure enough they are all offset. Why would Harley do this?

Now I'm stuck with the stock pegs - I can't seem to find any local shop with any brand of peg that will fit. Even searched the web with no luck. Anyone have any ideas who/what/where I should look for replacement pegs? thanks in advance.

(Trying to upload a picture of my problem)

Attached Thumbnails Can't find pegs for my 2012 Sportster 1200 Custom-imag0021.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick Stevens
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here and it's fantastic to see all the great ideas for customizing your bikes!

I purchased a brand new Sportster 1200 Custom, and have changed the seat along with a small backrest. I've also added some V&H slip ons... man does this thing sound cool!

My next idea was to change out the stock foot pegs - but I had no idea what a pain in the butt it would be. I stopped at my local bike shop and purchased the standard Kurykayn pegs that said it fits add HD models.... wrong! The female clevis on my bike it offset - One side is longer than the other! The guys at the bike shop were stumped on this one, they had nothing that would fit my bike. The Kurykayn website says they will fit, but they don't. I stopped at the local HD dealership and they didn't believe me until they walked over the all the new 2012 bikes with forward controls, and sure enough they are all offset. Why would Harley do this?

Now I'm stuck with the stock pegs - I can't seem to find any local shop with any brand of peg that will fit. Even searched the web with no luck. Anyone have any ideas who/what/where I should look for replacement pegs? thanks in advance.

(Trying to upload a picture of my problem)
Not sure why they did it, but it started with the 48, and more & more of the newer models are getting this "non-standard" foot peg mount from the factory.

Good news is that ALL DK Custom Footpegs will fit the old and this new style mount.

Check out the video below...also, here is a link that we published some info on this non-standard mount awhile back.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...93337977351941

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7cptFNnYeU

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought some ROLAND SANDS moto pegs for my 20111 nightster , even though they say they fit they do not!! they will not fold up.
I have contacted RSD buttheir customer service is shockingly crap

Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I had mid controls installed on my '12 C before I picked it up. My mids had the same offset pegs as pictured above. I just installed a complete set of V-Twin Soft Paw pegs. They where a little loose in the clevis but I had a bunch of anti-sag peg D-clips handy. I cut the anti-sag piece off, hammered them flat and slid those in with the new pegs. It was a pretty tight fit but they move/flip up as designed. Maybe the mid control mounts are different. I'll have to look.

Ninja Edit.........yup, the mid controls have even length clevises so any peg will work.

Last edited by modular; 04-15-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Mick Stevens
5th Gear

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Kevin - I have already contacted Dawn at DK Custom thru the website, hopefully I will be able to find one of your products that will be just what I need. Is your stuff sold at retail stores for me to check out, or just directly thru your website? Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 PM
ACRblaze
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it can be done all you have to do is change the Clevis part numbers #
42541-04 is the right and once I get home I will check the box and ghost the left side part number...

Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Hazardous Smoker
Tourer

Loved this post. Thanks DK I ordered a pair of your Custom Canyon Carvers. The stock ones suck ***.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick Stevens
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Kevin - I have already contacted Dawn at DK Custom thru the website, hopefully I will be able to find one of your products that will be just what I need. Is your stuff sold at retail stores for me to check out, or just directly thru your website? Thanks again.
Hey Mick,

Very few stores stock our parts. Most of the dealers we work with only order as needed by their Customers.

Thanks for looking at our parts.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes you can change the clevis as a previous poster said. But if you do if you will notice the old clevis base is wider than the one on the 2012, 1200 Custom. If you change it you will reduce your cornering clearance about half an inch. doesn't sound like much until you get into the curves. these bikes scrape way early as it is.

You can do what I did on the wife's bike and just grind off the extra length that Harley added and make the longer clevis end even with the other one. It takes about 5 minutes of work with a grinder and you can't even tell mine was ground off. with this mod you can then use any peg or floorboard you want.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

OP look at the pic posted by ACRblaze and then look at your pic. You will see the difference in the width of the base of your clevis pin mount and his.

Quick Reply: Can't find pegs for my 2012 Sportster 1200 Custom