Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning necessary or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by technotica
Thanks,

I'll take out one of the spark plugs and take a look at it. I guess thats a good indicator and its easier than having the harley mechanics look it over.
You don't really need to pull the plugs to know that you 2012 is running lean, but this will confirm it for you. It was running lean the day it rolled off the factory floor. The plugs will give you an overall idea of what is going on with the afr. If you want to know what the afr is at a specific RPM or range, you will need to hook the bike up to the sniffer and dyno it.

The vast majority of your riding is done in the closed loop mode, and this is where the bike will run at it's leanest. The info that the O2 sensors provide during this close loop mode is also used in an adaptive form when the bike is in open loop.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by got2bjennyg
The plugs will give you an overall idea of what is going on with the afr.

If you want to know what the afr is at a specific RPM or range, you will need to hook the bike up to the sniffer and dyno it.
So what is the point of reading the plugs anyways? Mine went from lean to rich to lean, before it settled down higher up.

Why can't you tap into the sensor? They have AFR meters that are dedicated sensors.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
technotica
Intermediate

So, it runs lean in any case, I might see if it runs too hot if the plug is melted or blistered right?

And if it runs too lean will the ECM tell me with error codes?

Is it definite that the 2012 O2 sensors will keep it from running too lean?

I don't mind lean (though I'd prefer fat to lean I think, it sounds less damaging), I just don't want my engine to get damaged.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

there is no real point in reading plugs on a fuel injected bike....and yes the bike is running lean (hell it was from the factory) and now it is running leaner (this I know because of the popping)..get yourself a controller ....which ever one you like....the pcv is a good controler, but if you are not going to do any major work to the motor may be more than you need (if you get one I would go with the map from the folks you buy it from and skip the dyno) there are a bunch of other controlers out there some cost more some cost less, any of them will work for you, if you are real **** about gtting every single hp out of the bike get the more expensive ones, if not buy the cheaper ones .....on my new bike I have pcv and it works great, but I know I would be putting cams in it in the future so I needed more ability to modify the map, my last bike had a wiseco type controller and it worked great...the Xieds things will work just fine also...you just need to get more fuel in there and any of the controllers will do that ....

Last edited by mrfikser; 04-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

oh, and if you decide to go with th pcv ...go to fuel moto to buy it..great service, and will help you with the maps to get them just right.........and any of the controllers will make a HUGE difference in the way the bike runs (for the better)

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aklim
So what is the point of reading the plugs anyways? Mine went from lean to rich to lean, before it settled down higher up.
The OP was unsure if is bike was lean- everyone told him it was and they were right, but if he wants to see for himself if the overall afr of the bike is too lean- look at the plugs.

The AFR on your first dyno is pretty much what would be expected for a stock '07 & newer sportster- with or without any air cleaner or exhaust mods.

Adding a tuner or an enrichment devise will richen the AFR as desired. Just a matter of budget & personal preference as to which way to go.

Except for you Aklim, we all know that your way, with your particular tuner is the only right way. You've already played out that argument with me and a multitude of other people many times over. So, before you start again, I will agree with you- your way is the only right way. No need to beat that dead horse anymore.

Last edited by got2bjennyg; 04-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrfikser
if you are real **** about gtting every single hp out of the bike get the more expensive ones,
I'm not **** about getting every single HP out of the bike. I want the bike to be running totally smooth and not have hiccups

Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by got2bjennyg
The OP was unsure if is bike was lean- everyone told him it was and they were right, but if he wants to see for himself if the overall afr of the bike is too lean- look at the plugs.

The AFR on your first dyno is pretty much what would be expected for a stock '07 & newer sportster- with or without any air cleaner or exhaust mods.

Except for you Aklim, we all know that your way, with your particular tuner is the only right way. You've already played out that argument with me and a multitude of other people many times over. So, before you start again, I will agree with you- your way is the only right way. No need to beat that dead horse anymore.
My point is that it can be done better by reading the values from the O2 sensor.

I guess me any my automotive tuner didn't care for it so it was changed to a more satisfactory one to both of us.

Actually, I'd rather have the PowerVision instead of the SEPST but it was bought for me as a gift. When you can show me a different route that can cover all the same bases as either of the two, I'd be looking into it myself.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser

So, it runs lean in any case, I might see if it runs too hot if the plug is melted or blistered right?
No- color is the indicator, white too lean, tan- happy, dark too rich. Only do this if you want to see with your own eyes. Your bike was running lean fro day way- this is how the factory sets them up to comply with modern emissions and fuel economy standards.

And if it runs too lean will the ECM tell me with error codes?
No- because too lean is how the factory ECM is set up t operate the bike most of the time unless you add a tuner or enrichment deivse- (back to the emissions and fuel economy thing again)

Is it definite that the 2012 O2 sensors will keep it from running too lean?
The O2 sensors are part of the system that the factory set up to help run the bike with a lean AFR. It was lean from day one and it is still lean. The ECM uses the info from the O2 sensors to help maintain a lean AFR of about 14.7:1.

I don't mind lean (though I'd prefer fat to lean I think, it sounds less damaging), I just don't want my engine to get damaged.
The bike will run smoother, cooler and happier with a richer afr than the factory lean setting. I personally think that the factory lean AFR isn't in the best, long term interest of the engine.

Last edited by got2bjennyg; 04-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 PM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aklim
My point is that it can be done better by reading the values from the O2 sensor.
Every 2012 sportster rolled off the assembly line running lean. No need to hook anything up to anything to know that. Want a quick, easy, cheap way to "see" it, pull a plug. Want more details, and don't mind spending the extra money, to find out the same thing, then have it dyno'ed. If all you are trying to do is confirm that it is running lean, I'm not sure a dyno chart is "better". But since you say it is, I'll agree.

Quick Reply: Tuning necessary or not?